New RYZEN Rig won't boot... HELP

Faljake

So building a new Ryzen 7 rig today and the most disappointing thing happened, no POST after completion! I'm using a b350 PC mate MSI motherboard, which has Ez debug LED's, and on boot the fans spin up and lights on the MOBO and GPU light up, but the computer doesn't post and has the CPU debug light a solid red. It hasn't boot up yet, and I've tried resetting the CMOS, re-seating the 8 Pin CPU header, and re-seating the CPU itself. Are there any other potential fixes other than replacing the CPU itself? Let me know if you need any more info.

4 minutes ago, Faljake said:

So building a new Ryzen 7 rig today and the most disappointing thing happened, no POST after completion! I'm using a b350 PC mate MSI motherboard, which has Ez debug LED's, and on boot the fans spin up and lights on the MOBO and GPU light up, but the computer doesn't post and has the CPU debug light a solid red. It hasn't boot up yet, and I've tried resetting the CMOS, re-seating the 8 Pin CPU header, and re-seating the CPU itself. Are there any other potential fixes other than replacing the CPU itself? Let me know if you need any more info.

Try giving it several minutes.  Numerous people (myself included) have had to wait up to 5-10 minutes the first time they powered-on their newly built Ryzen system.  I would advise you to download the latest bios version for your board and have it ready on a usb flash drive for when you are able to enter the bios.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Just now, johndms said:

Try giving it several minutes.  Numerous people (myself included) have had to wait up to 5-10 minutes the first time they powered their newly built Ryzen system.  I would advise you to download the latest bios version for your board and have it ready on a usb flash drive for when you are able to enter the bios.

I spent a couple hours debugging the system, and I plan to work on it a bit more in the morning, so I will definetly try, but I'm still wondering if I may be missing something here. This isn't my first rig but it's my first CPU failure so the stress is real :/

1 minute ago, Faljake said:

I spent a couple hours debugging the system, and I plan to work on it a bit more in the morning, so I will definetly try, but I'm still wondering if I may be missing something here. This isn't my first rig but it's my first CPU failure so the stress is real :/

I have the same motherboard and that is a bit odd. What kind of RAM do you have? Ryzen has weird compatibility with certain ram kits, also make sure the 24 pin is securely plugged in.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

I have the same motherboard and that is a bit odd. What kind of RAM do you have? Ryzen has weird compatibility with certain ram kits, also make sure the 24 pin is securely plugged in.

The ram I have is this here http://amzn.to/2wsAucc , and I've wondered about 24 pins for awhile. I've never been able to fully push in the 24 pin without having the MOBO look like it's about to split in half. It can go further, but it would require a crazy amount of pressure.

4 minutes ago, Faljake said:

The ram I have is this here http://amzn.to/2wsAucc , and I've wondered about 24 pins for awhile. I've never been able to fully push in the 24 pin without having the MOBO look like it's about to split in half. It can go further, but it would require a crazy amount of pressure.

Get that sucker all the way in, just to be sure

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

4 minutes ago, Mkfish said:

Get that sucker all the way in, just to be sure

Clip has been secured. It's a bit late, and I'm going to work on it tomorrow, but thanks for the suggestion.

9 minutes ago, Faljake said:

hold the back of the board and push it in

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

hold the back of the board and push it in

For the record it was already 90% of the way in, just with the clip out.

13 minutes ago, Faljake said:

I've never been able to fully push in the 24 pin without having the MOBO look like it's about to split in half. It can go further, but it would require a crazy amount of pressure

From pictures of the board, it appears to have locations for board stand-offs/screws basically on either side of the 24-pin connector.  I also had difficulty plugging my 24-pin into my ASRock board.  I just gently slid the tips of my fingers under the edge of the board (under the 24-pin connector) to make it a bit more sturdy and not bend.  The last thing you want to do is break it, of course.. but it should be seated firmly in place.

I still think just waiting several minutes after you press the power button may yield results.  You mentioned you've spent hours debugging.. so I'm sure you've tried booting with Ram in slots 2 & 4, or just one stick in slot 2?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

From the amazon page:

• Four channel memory architecture maximizes data rates

Ryzen only supports dual channel doesn't it..? Think that is your problem maybe?

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

1 minute ago, Mkfish said:

From the amazon page:

Ryzen only supports dual channel doesn't it..? Think that is your problem maybe?

His board will run them in dual channel, quad channel support is controlled by mobo/CPU, not RAM.

✨PC Specs✨

1 minute ago, Mkfish said:

From the amazon page:

I'm only using 2 sticks, but the board was build specially for Ryzen, so I have a hard time believing they would overlook something like that.

Hey guys so I just wanted to leave you with a quick update. We are in BIOS! I'm a NEWB and didn't try different ram slots and was overall not very patient. Upon trying 1 dimm in the 2 slot and letting it boot for more than 2 seconds the CPU light would go off, then it would turn on with a GPU LED debug light, then BAM! We got post.Thanks a ton for all your help guys and I hope I can help you later on. I'll be back if we have an unexpected failure :/