3.5" vs 2.5" HDD

bchampion96
Go to solution Solved by Elven,

Hi Guys, 

In my quest to make a tiny hackintosh, I've come across another question: Is there any disadvantage (apart from costs) in getting a 2.5" HDD instead of a full size HDD of the same capacity?

thanks for your time!

bchampion96

Hey,

Usually the only disadvantage of physically smaller HDDs are that they come in smaller capacities. They usually run at lower rpm speeds (5400 I believe). As the HDD is physically smaller, some say the actually read/write times are close to a typical 7200rpm as their is less distance for the needle to move.

They probably get a little warmer than 3.5" drives do, also.

Elven

Hi Guys, 

In my quest to make a tiny hackintosh, I've come across another question: Is there any disadvantage (apart from costs) in getting a 2.5" HDD instead of a full size HDD of the same capacity?

thanks for your time!

bchampion96

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Hi Guys, 

thanks for your time!

bchampion96

Hey,

Usually the only disadvantage of physically smaller HDDs are that they come in smaller capacities. They usually run at lower rpm speeds (5400 I believe). As the HDD is physically smaller, some say the actually read/write times are close to a typical 7200rpm as their is less distance for the needle to move.

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Hi Guys, 

thanks for your time!

bchampion96

no difference if u get a 7200rpm drive. they tend to be a bit more expensive though (2.5 inch)

I'd say get what will fit if you need more space in your case then 2.5. Othewise, get a 3.5 dive because they usually cheaper per GB.

Quote me to get a reply!

Hey,

Elven

Nice one thanks!

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Nice one thanks!

No problem  ^_^

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.