Will this work for Phantom Power?

Billy_Mays

Earlier this I bought a microphone that needs phantom power and my friend has some stuff since he plays gituar and he used something couple months ago and he is willing to give me it idk how much for but pictures are included

IMG_1642.PNG

IMG_1646.PNG

IMG_1647.PNG

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

from what google could find out, that BOSS RDD-20 is a delay effect.

it probably does not even have a mic preamp, let alone phantom power. 

and what do you want with that phones adapter ? what microphone do you have ?

You need something like a Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply (assuming the mic is XLR) to insert phantom power and give you the mic output.  That sells for about £21 here in the UK, so it's not expensive.

7 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

from what google could find out, that BOSS RDD-20 is a delay effect.

it probably does not even have a mic preamp, let alone phantom power. 

and what do you want with that phones adapter ? what microphone do you have ?

I have the Neewer NW-700 

4 minutes ago, Gungpae said:

The Boss RDD-20 doesn't have a built in 48v Phantom Power for the input

I was checking on here to see if it worked 

2 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

You need something like a Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply (assuming the mic is XLR) to insert phantom power and give you the mic output.  That sells for about £21 here in the UK, so it's not expensive.

Yes the mic is XLR and I would want something that could power other stuff besides my mic

I don't think there's much in a modern recording setup that uses phantom power except mics (though it's been a few years since I was in the business).  If it's multiple mics you need powered, some sort of mixing desk is probably what your after.  Which one really does depend on what your requirements are (how many mics, how many line sources, what sort of outputs you need etc etc) and what your budget is.

Just now, Undergrid said:

I don't think there's much in a modern recording setup that uses phantom power except mics (though it's been a few years since I was in the business).  If it's multiple mics you need powered, some sort of mixing desk is probably what your after.  Which one really does depend on what your requirements are (how many mics, how many line sources, what sort of outputs you need etc etc) and what your budget is.

I really only need one for me thats it and one set of speakers (they use RCA cables)

14 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Yes the mic is XLR and I would want something that could power other stuff besides my mic

what "other stuff" i don't know of anything aside from professional audio gear that can use 48v phantom power over a XLR connection. 

and by the way.... 

51yIN97GNFL.jpg

... that XLR to Phones plug cable is pretty useless. 

a regular soundcard mic input was never designed to work with this kind of microphone and there is a very high possibility it won't work even if you add a phantom power injector.

i'd just get a proper mic preamp or even a small mixer. does not have to be expensive but it has to have at least one XLR jack with phantom power.

The Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer is pretty popular with small setups, but you'd still need an amp to sit between it and your speakers.

I'm concerned about those though, RCA connectors are not normal for studio or monitor speakers, so I'm guessing you've gotten them maybe from a all-in-one sound system?

2 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

what "other stuff" i don't know of anything aside from professional audio gear that can use 48v phantom power over a XLR connection. 

and by the way.... 

51yIN97GNFL.jpg

... that XLR to Phones plug cable is pretty useless. 

a regular soundcard mic input was never designed to work with this kind of microphone and there is a very high possibility it won't work even if you add a phantom power injector.

i'd just get a proper mic preamp or even a small mixer. does not have to be expensive but it has to have at least one XLR jack with phantom power.

Ok so will this or this work 

4 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

The Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer is pretty popular with small setups, but you'd still need an amp to sit between it and your speakers.

I'm concerned about those though, RCA connectors are not normal for studio or monitor speakers, so I'm guessing you've gotten them maybe from a all-in-one sound system?

I dont know much about them I cant ask my uncle any more about them

Correction, you'd need the Behringer Xenyx 802 for a mixer with phantom power, it's a little more expensive but also gives you a second XLR input and some more line-in's.

The 302USB only has 15 volt phantom power, your mic needs 48 volt, so it won't work.  The UM2 should work though, but don't expect to plug your speakers directly into that.

Assuming your connecting this little lot to a computer to record, your probably best using headphones anyway, to avoid feedback etc.

11 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

The 302USB only has 15 volt phantom power, your mic needs 48 volt, so it won't work.  The UM2 should work though, but don't expect to plug your speakers directly into that.

surprisingly enough a lower voltage than 48v does work with a lot of mics ... 

i have a very similar microphone and the 302's "bigger brother" Xenyx Q502 wich also has only 15v phantom but the mic works without problems. 

my experience is that most of the cheaper mics just need some form of phantom power and the more expensive and high end it get's the more picky they are about it

by the way - the Q502 has a built in compressor - it's a simple one-knob design but i found it very helpful in a lot of situations (voiceovers, commentary, game streaming) 

5 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

surprisingly enough a lower voltage than 48v does work with a lot of mics ... 

i have a very similar microphone and the 302's "bigger brother" Xenyx Q502 wich also has only 15v phantom but the mic works without problems. 

my experience is that most of the cheaper mics just need some form of phantom power and the more expensive and high end it get's the more picky they are about it

by the way - the Q502 has a built in compressor - it's a simple one-knob design but i found it very helpful in a lot of situations (voiceovers, commentary, game streaming) 

So I dont need to get a 48v power supply?

4 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

So I dont need to get a 48v power supply?

the preamp as well as the mixer will very likely be fine. 

if not, you can send the stuff back and call me out for talking bullshit. 

18 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

the preamp as well as the mixer will very likely be fine. 

if not, you can send the stuff back and call me out for talking bullshit. 

Ok so this is fine?