A good CPU cooler <82mm in height? or just buy AIO?

LaboonTheWhale

hey guys

So I'm going to be building in a case that only allows up to 82mm in height of a CPU cooler. But i'm not quite familiar with air coolers as I have only used custom loop for the past few years. 

I know theres the Noctua L9i but those guys are only rated for 65W TDP. I am using the Ryzen 1700 and was hoping to push it a bit further with OC. 

or instead should I just go with an AIO of some kind? 

3 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

hey guys

So I'm going to be building in a case that only allows up to 82mm in height of a CPU cooler. But i'm not quite familiar with air coolers as I have only used custom loop for the past few years. 

I know theres the Noctua L9i but those guys are only rated for 65W TDP. I am using the Ryzen 1700 and was hoping to push it a bit further with OC. 

or instead should I just go with an AIO of some kind? 

If it's in a SFF case an AIO is not a bad option another is if this from croyrig if you can fit the footprint. 

http://www.cryorig.com/c1_us.php

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

The Cryorig C7 is rated for 100w

I have the wraith spire thats rated for 95W, but the fans also smaller so probably more noise right? I suppose swapping the fan wouldnt be a bad idea for the C7 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If it's in a SFF case an AIO is not a bad option another is if this from croyrig if you can fit the footprint. 

http://www.cryorig.com/c1_us.php

Well, kinda SFF, its the Phanteks Shift that I'm planning to build in and it is a bit finicky as its a tower, but not accommodating for high coolers. 

Just now, LaboonTheWhale said:

I have the wraith spire thats rated for 95W, but the fans also smaller so probably more noise right? I suppose swapping the fan wouldnt be a bad idea for the C7

If you already have the Wraith I would just use that as it's a pretty decent and beefy cpu cooler

My life

1 minute ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Well, kinda SFF, its the Phanteks Shift that I'm planning to build in and it is a bit finicky as its a tower, but not accommodating for high coolers. 

Oh the new tower type case, that has some good mounting room for single rads AIO's, I think it was capable of 2 single AIO's even if you wanted both GPU and CPU cooling. 

Just now, W-L said:

Oh the new tower type case, that has some good mounting room for single rads AIO's, I think it was capable of 2 single AIO's even if you wanted both GPU and CPU cooling. 

The only downside is that it has to be rads that are 27mm in height or lower which is just as hard to find lol. 

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

If you already have the Wraith I would just use that as it's a pretty decent and beefy cpu cooler

I guess what I would debate is would it be profitable for the VRM on the Mobo switching to the C7 having a 120mm fan blowing down vs the spire's fan. Itx vrms get so hot :(

The only downside is that it has to be rads that are 27mm in height or lower which is just as hard to find lol. 

I guess what I would debate is would it be profitable for the VRM on the Mobo switching to the C7 having a 120mm fan blowing down vs the spire's fan. Itx vrms get so hot :(

Oh yeah I see now that's for two AIO's, might be able to get away with a thin fan if you really want to put in as much as possible or something like silverstone's thin AIO's.

2 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Well the C7 is only 20 bucks so whatever floats your boat.it still is a better Cooler than the Wraith though

My life

1 minute ago, W-L said:

silverstone's thin AIO's

You can still buy those?Weren't they discontinued

My life

Just now, W-L said:

Oh yeah I see now that's for two AIO's, might be able to get away with a thin fan if you really want to put in as much as possible or something like silverstone's thin AIO's.

are they really Radiator worthy? I've seen people put them in Ncase builds but I feel like they might not be able to push much. I do have a Fury X now that I can throw the stock AIO back on to cool it, but that rad is ~34mm in height as it is. Thought about the 1080ti hybrid or vega AIO (DEPENDING ON PERFORMANCE) to upgrade. GPU would dump a lot of heat into the case but so would the CPU and would be ideal to run an AIO for them all. 

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Well the C7 is only 20 bucks so whatever floats your boat.it still is a better Cooler than the Wraith though

$30 for the cheapest I could find. sucks I can't use a tower cooler. lol 

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

You can still buy those?Weren't they discontinued

Just now, LaboonTheWhale said:

are they really Radiator worthy? I've seen people put them in Ncase builds but I feel like they might not be able to push much. I do have a Fury X now that I can throw the stock AIO back on to cool it, but that rad is ~34mm in height as it is. Thought about the 1080ti hybrid or vega AIO (DEPENDING ON PERFORMANCE) to upgrade. GPU would dump a lot of heat into the case but so would the CPU and would be ideal to run an AIO for them all. 

$30 for the cheapest I could find. sucks I can't use a tower cooler. lol 

OhI thought they were still kicking around, but looks like there still is some for purchase: https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-TD03-SLIM-Cooling-RL-TD03-SLIM/dp/B017XPPA54

I would say the GPU with an AIO would be a good option and if you are doing overclocking on the CPU it wouldn't be a bad option but a good sized air cooler can be comparable. 

Just now, W-L said:

OhI thought they were still kicking around, but looks like there still is some for purchase: https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-TD03-SLIM-Cooling-RL-TD03-SLIM/dp/B017XPPA54

I would say the GPU with an AIO would be a good option and if you are doing overclocking on the CPU it wouldn't be a bad option but a good sized air cooler can be comparable. 

Huh.Silverstone says it's a legacy product though

http://www.silverstonetek.com/legacy.php?area=en&model=TD03

My life

11 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

EK slimstream and Magicool are 26mm and 27mm respectively.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

EK slimstream and Magicool are 26mm and 27mm respectively.

I highly doubt I can custom loop in this case nor do I have the funds to experiment with it. 

I highly doubt I can custom loop in this case nor do I have the funds to experiment with it. 

Gotcha, in that case no issues.  Most aio radiators are really slim, h60 is 25mm, maelstrom 120t is 22mm etc etc.

Just now, Damascus said:

Gotcha, in that case no issues.  Most aio radiators are really slim, h60 is 25mm, maelstrom 120t is 22mm etc etc.

would you think it would be better to use an AIO to either direct the heat immediately out vs low profile air coolers that would just shoot the heat into the case but also much cheaper? 

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Huh.Silverstone says it's a legacy product though

http://www.silverstonetek.com/legacy.php?area=en&model=TD03

Oh that's the older model that has the thick high performance rad it seems, the slim and regular they have are still around from what I can tell. 

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_cooling.php?tno=0&case=c_liquid&area=en

4 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

would you think it would be better to use an AIO to either direct the heat immediately out vs low profile air coolers that would just shoot the heat into the case but also much cheaper? 

The aio.  If you can afford it get an aio (one for gpu as well) as the shift series has been built around watercooling and any air cooling will be severerly limited.

6 minutes ago, Damascus said:

The aio.  If you can afford it get an aio (one for gpu as well) as the shift series has been built around watercooling and any air cooling will be severerly limited.

the GPU aio would be great but unless I can experiment with it first hand, I feel like those ones that come with the GPU, like on the Fury X or 1080 Ti hybrid, would be too tall and get in the way :/ 

Wouldnt be a problem in the Shift X but thats a little too tall for me.