Using older thermal paste ok?

EnergyEclipse

Hello!

So I managed to score myself a tube of partially used IC Diamond at a boot sale today, however, judging by the size of the tube compared to brand new modern IC Diamond I believe it is older thermal paste and has probably sat for awhile.

Do you think it will have retained its original thermal conductivity over time? Squeezing some out of the tube revealed it defiantly hasn't solidified and is still a grey/blue like normal.

Thank you very much in advance!

-EnergyEclipse

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Just now, Vespertine said:

You should see, get some new IC Diamond and test both, I'd love to hear the results!

Hmmm, that isn't a bad idea! :DD Ima gonna test that when I get more money :3

Thank you for your reply!

-EnergyEclipse

22 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Hello!

So I managed to score myself a tube of partially used IC Diamond at a boot sale today, however, judging by the size of the tube compared to brand new modern IC Diamond I believe it is older thermal paste and has probably sat for awhile.

Do you think it will have retained its original thermal conductivity over time? Squeezing some out of the tube revealed it defiantly hasn't solidified and is still a grey/blue like normal.

Thank you very much in advance!

-EnergyEclipse

I can only guess.

But just like any paste, if you just mix it around using the wooden end of a match or something similar, it should be right as rain.

The separated layers should mix together again and work as intented.

Just a guess :D

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

That will probably be fine. Just try it out and look at the CPU temps under load. (I'm currently using a file server that uses toothpaste instead of thermal compound and it runs pretty cool.)

2 hours ago, akio123008 said:

That will probably be fine. Just try it out and look at the CPU temps under load. (I'm currently using a file server that uses toothpaste instead of thermal compound and it runs pretty cool.)

wait wha

fam

toothpaste

TOOTHpaste

Image result for triggered

Just now, Kilobytez95 said:

If it's not dried out then just give it a quick mix up with a toothpick and it should be fine.

I shall make sure to do so! It isn't dried as its still flexes and acts like toothpaste,

I like really want to be able to say I got a tube with around 24 karat of diamond in it for £5 :3

Thank you very much @Edgar R. Zakarian, @Vespertine & @akio123008 for your replies! Have a nice day xD

-EnergyEclipse

3 hours ago, akio123008 said:

10 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

wait wha

fam

toothpaste

TOOTHpaste

Image result for triggered

And then you remove it with some beer my dude

Haha, I know that toothpaste is a terrible solution, but I had nothing else laying around and thought: why the hell not? So I tried it and it worked. And the server is still working perfectly fine. Of course I prefer real thermal compound, but as long as the bloody thing runs, I'm not going to spend any money on that.

BTW, the hardware isn't that expensive (AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ CPU)