Tablets for reading?

WorldDominator

I want to get my girlfriend a tablet for christmas because she LOVES  reading. She had a kindle fire before but the screen broke when she was traveling. I don't know much about tablets, besides wanting to avoid iPads. Should I just get her another kindle fire (with a case of course)?

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

There is a specific tablet/device that amazon has released alike the Kindle fire called the the paper white. Its only use is for reading and also acts like a dictionary for words in the purchased books/(free if possible)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

so basically the paperwhite is for the backlighting?

Kind of annoys me that you have to pay $20 more to get an ad-less device...

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I have a KIndle 4 (the first one without a keyboard) and a nexus 7 2013 and I currently do all my reading on the Nexus for no other reason than I wanted a device that could do other stuff. being in IT this is helpful. I do find the e- ink screens nicer for prolonged reading though.

I would look at what she would use it for, if only reading go for the paperwhite, if reading and other stuff then get a tablet. 

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

so basically the paperwhite is for the backlighting?

Kind of annoys me that you have to pay $20 more to get an ad-less device...

Yea, I think that is the main selling point.

And true, that 20 buck increase in price to remove ads is just stupid.

If it's solely for reading, get her an eBookReader. Tablets are fine for occasional reading, but it's not the same and the backlight breaks your balls sooner or later when reading longer texts [at least for me]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...