AM4 backplate loose on MSI gaming pro carbon B350 when using a hyper 212 evo

I'm upgrading my system to AM4 (ryzen 1600), I have a hyper 212 evo. I wanted to keep the cooler.

I have the AM 4 mounting kit. When I try to screw in the standoff for the heatsink on the MSI Gaming pro carbon b350 motherboard they don't screw in all the way. There is about 4 mm gap between the post and the motherboard. Which means the backplate is very very loose and not secured to the motherboard.

Would this be a problem? I think this would add a lot of stress on the motherboard when I would screw down the heat sink.

Here a picture with the backplate and 2 of the stand-offs installed. on the left you can clearly see the backplate sticking out of the motherboard.

bC5LKFX.jpg

Just now, MVPernula said:

Welcome to the forums!

Is it like that for every standoff?

Yes, all the stand offs are that much above the pcb. They are screwed in as far as they can go. I removed the 2 on the left just to show in one picture how much the backplate come above the motherboard pcb.

1 minute ago, Oryzaki said:

I just used spacers did it not come with any?

No, neither the motherboard, the AM4 mounting kit, or the original Hyper 212 evo did come with some spacers. I have some (metal) spacers, but not thick enough. I could stack them and isolate, but that would look very ugly/ghetto.

Just now, Mezzezo said:

No, neither the motherboard, the AM4 mounting kit, or the original Hyper 212 evo did come with some spacers. I have some (metal) spacers, but not thick enough. I could stack them and isolate, but that would look very ugly/ghetto.

If you have the necessary tools you could try to make the screws shorter. thou i only advice this as a last resort

9 minutes ago, Mezzezo said:

I think this is super strange.. Idunno.

6 minutes ago, Oryzaki said:

If you have the necessary tools you could try to make the screws shorter. thou i only advice this as a last resort

1 minute ago, Oryzaki said:

I would have to make the screw points on the backplate shorter. But I don't have a Dremmel or powertools. I agree this would be a last resort.

I might just put on the stock cooler for now. I contacted MSI and Coolermaster about this, but that will take a few days probably to get an answer. I might just start looking for maybe a better cooler.

• 3 months later...

So what was the solution? I am in the middle of a build with this motherboard and cooler; I just discovered I have the same issue.