Should I RMA??

So I very recently purchased a Asus Gtx 1070 strix and it has recently been causing games to freeze and crash (Fortnite and Mass Effect Andromeda), I was unsure about the graphics cards involvement in the crashes cause of Fortnites Early access nature and MEA's track record of being buggy af, I noticed repeated references to the graphics card in a Fortnite Crash log, Something about Dx 11 time out waiting for GPU to catch up??.

Anyway I ended up downloading unigine Heaven and ran the benchmark, freeze at the end of scene 19, turned off the OC tune in Asus GPU tweak2 and ran it again, same result, same freeze point.

soo after having the GPU do this I did some research about signs of a faulty card and I defiantly have some of them but before I got full RMA I guess I wanna see if I've missed anything.

So please guys, Should I try something else? is there a test I should run? or does it just sound busted and I should do the RMA??  

Test it in a different system. If it has the same problems, RMA. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, ScottyC said:

So I very recently purchased a Asus Gtx 1070 strix and it has recently been causing games to freeze and crash (Fortnite and Mass Effect Andromeda), I was unsure about the graphics cards involvement in the crashes cause of Fortnites Early access nature and MEA's track record of being buggy af, I noticed repeated references to the graphics card in a Fortnite Crash log, Something about Dx 11 time out waiting for GPU to catch up??.

Anyway I ended up downloading unigine Heaven and ran the benchmark, freeze at the end of scene 19, turned off the OC tune in Asus GPU tweak2 and ran it again, same result, same freeze point.

soo after having the GPU do this I did some research about signs of a faulty card and I defiantly have some of them but before I got full RMA I guess I wanna see if I've missed anything.

So please guys, Should I try something else? is there a test I should run? or does it just sound busted and I should do the RMA??  

what is your computer specifications?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Normally if it was just those two games I would say it could be a software issue. I had a similar problem in farcry 4 and apparently it happens often in ubisoft games because of poor coding. But it happening in unigine makes me think it could be a faulty card. I do believe I had a workaround for the issue but it involved a registry key edit. Something about giving more time for drivers to respond.

I would try reinstall the drivers (use DDU to fully remove before installing), remove the Asus GPU Tweak software, and then run a couple more benchmarks: 3D Mark Timespy and Unigine Superposition.  If those are crashing with fresh drivers, RMA it.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

7 hours ago, Changis said:

what is your computer specifications?

CPU: I5 7600k @ 4.6
MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-a
Ram: 16gb Kingston hyperX

GPU: Asus GTX1070 strix
PSU: Corsair HX750i
3x SSD 1x HDD

7 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Test it in a different system. If it has the same problems, RMA. 

I'm going to put it in my house mates PC but he's only got a 550w Psu, Should be ok yeah??

7 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

I would try reinstall the drivers (use DDU to fully remove before installing), remove the Asus GPU Tweak software, and then run a couple more benchmarks: 3D Mark Timespy and Unigine Superposition.  If those are crashing with fresh drivers, RMA it.

downloading timespy and Superposition now, GPU tweak has been uninstalled, Updated drivers last night to latest for fortnite.

2 hours ago, ScottyC said:

I'm going to put it in my house mates PC but he's only got a 550w Psu, Should be ok yeah??

Yup. A 520W can run a 980 Ti, which is basically a power-hungry 1070. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Ok so Im super confused, my Gpu passed Superposition benchmark on High and Extreme with ease, I went back to Heaven and it passed with no freeze at scene 19 and SOME stutters but not as many, this is all after uninstalling GPU tweak 2, I went back into Fortnite and crashed the same way as usual so I went through all my crash logs one by one and looked for consistent errors,  the main one is "LogD3D11RHI: Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up. (0.5 s)" which from googling seems to be a common error in UE4 games and  "LogRenderTargetPool:Warning: r.RenderTargetPoolMin exceeded 404/400 MB (ok in editor, bad on fixed memory platform)" caught my eye as well. . . 

Im still going to test the GPU in my house mates PC to make double sure but what do you guys think about these odd results ??

So I was doing some more testing, It crashed the witcher 3 . . .