Storage recommendations please (SSD & HDD)

jeffery7466

Hi all,

So I am planning on building a transportable ITX (Lan parties ftw). (If you are interested, part list is at the link at the bottom)

The part I've researched the least is storage solution. I would like a small SSD for OS, and 2TB HDD for other crap.

1)So for the SSD I might go for the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, cuz thats the smallest they do and everyone seems to use Samsung.

Are there any (cheaper) brands/ series that people recommend? I think 120GB would actually be enough. I got a bit overwhelmed on http://www.thessdreview.com/, reading about all the different technologies, NAND types, controllers etc.

2)For the HDD, I will go for the Seagate Firecuda, since it is apparently more 'reliable' than their barracuda range, which helps if I will be moving the rig occasionally.

And other suggestions here?

Thanks.

Everyone on here be showing off their rigs, so here I go:

Spoiler

Main Desktop CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.65 GHz Memory: 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz Graphics: NVIDIA ASUS 1070 MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Storage: NVME M.2 Crucial P1 SSD; SATA Crucial MX500 SSD; Seagate BarraCuda HDD.

Acer Aspire 5755G CPU: Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz Memory: 6GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM Graphics: NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB Storage750GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD Display15.6" 1366x768

2 minutes ago, jeffery7466 said:

Hi all,

So I am planning on building a transportable ITX (Lan parties ftw). (If you are interested, part list is at the link at the bottom)

The part I've researched the least is storage solution. I would like a small SSD for OS, and 2TB HDD for other crap.

1)So for the SSD I might go for the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, cuz thats the smallest they do and everyone seems to use Samsung.

Are there any (cheaper) brands/ series that people recommend? I think 120GB would actually be enough. I got a bit overwhelmed on http://www.thessdreview.com/, reading about all the different technologies, NAND types, controllers etc.

2)For the HDD, I will go for the Seagate Firecuda, since it is apparently more 'reliable' than their barracuda range, which helps if I will be moving the rig occasionally.

Thanks.

super nerdy stuff like NAND type and Cell level Type will simply dont make a difference unless your job is to benchmark drives, all SSD's are fast enough that most people wont care. 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

1) SK Hynix SL308 is tiny bit slower but much cheaper, Crucial MX300 is decent for its value as well. WD Blue is ok, SanDisk Ultra II is also ok

2) There is nothing wrong with the Barracuda lineup. Their reliability that been tested by blacklaze turns out to be wrong on so many level http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

Also SSHD (Firecuda) doesn't really benefit you much, only a small portion is dedicated to make things faster.

850 EVO is a good choice - long warranty and from one of the biggest semiconductor brands in the world. 

Firecuda is not needed for games, go with Barracuda or WD Blue 

idk

Using a Seagate baracuda drive. From a model, which had a bad reputation somehow... Using the disk in a pc that's on 24/7 for several years, and all energy savings turned off. Using it for mass storage but I won't allow my drives to go to sleep or anything like that. Still going strong and no issues at all. I'd say they are good drives.

For SSD I am using an Kingston HyperX Savage. I think it can be considered an older model, but I'm really happy with it. Wasn't budget stuff when I got it... And for lan parties + games drive, I wouldn't go below ~250 gb.

23 minutes ago, jeffery7466 said:

Hi all,

Thanks.

Kingston stuff isn't bad, I got a 480gb on amazon prime day a year ago for £80 and hasn't given any issues. Be careful, at the moment ram, gpus and storage prices have gone through the bloody roof!