ITX Build, Budget GBP 1,200 - Can you do better?

15 minutes ago, brob said:

Never understood this argument. The efficiency difference between 50% load and 67% load is quite small. So it seems to me that for any given load, the difference in thermal waste will be quite small leading to very similar fan speeds.

While you are correct with a slight difference of only a few percent in efficiency, you're wrong concerning noise. They have different fan curves and the more powerful psu uses different components. The Corsair SF450 for example produces about 24–25dB of fan noise at 360W of load while the SF600 will only produce about 20dB of fan noise. The SF450 is fanless up to ~90W of load while the SF600 runs fanless up to 120W of load. Bigger psu, more thermal reserves, different fan curve, lower noise level. 

Efficiency-wise you only gain about 2–3% … that is true.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

44 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

While you are correct with a slight difference of only a few percent in efficiency, you're wrong concerning noise. They have different fan curves and the more powerful psu uses different components. The Corsair SF450 for example produces about 24–25dB of fan noise at 360W of load while the SF600 will only produce about 20dB of fan noise. The SF450 is fanless up to ~90W of load while the SF600 runs fanless up to 120W of load. Bigger psu, more thermal reserves, different fan curve, lower noise level. 

Efficiency-wise you only gain about 2–3% … that is true.

That is true. But I don't think that I'll be annoyed by 25db. To me it doesn't justify spending 40quid more.

Everyone on here be showing off their rigs, so here I go:

Spoiler

Main Desktop CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.65 GHz Memory: 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz Graphics: NVIDIA ASUS 1070 MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Storage: NVME M.2 Crucial P1 SSD; SATA Crucial MX500 SSD; Seagate BarraCuda HDD.

Acer Aspire 5755G CPU: Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz Memory: 6GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM Graphics: NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB Storage750GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD Display15.6" 1366x768