1. Budget & Location
Budget is between the £1500.00 - £2000.00 mark, the current specs I have drawing up are slightly and would like to bring the cost done.

Located in the UK

2. Aim

The machine is going to be accessed via RDP and I will be running several VM’s on the machine, the ideally situation would be to have at most at any one time 10 VM’s running.

The VM instance would be varying between Win 7 – Win 10 but generally will be Win 10. There will be no specially software or hardware running on these machines other that a web browser and the sites that will be accessed will be loading flash based games.

I currently use my current PC and can get at most 3 machines running before my system starts taking a knock. The VM settings are 2/2 2GB-4GB and the VM the system is maxing out the CPU and as long as I have an SSD and not using the VM on a HDD the disk usage is fine.

As far as I can see the load is handled by the CPU & not the GPU.

3. Monitors

As this system will not be accessed physically none except for setup.

4. Peripherals

Will require VMware on the machine.

5. Why are you upgrading?

As my current machine is not able to handle this and need to increase the number of VM’s being run.
The current list I have specc’d out is this, the case was just put there for a rough costing purpose and would like to change it to something nicer and the GPU I am unsure of what to go for and what would be best fit for my use, I had originally intended on following the 40 Thread Xeon monster guide but I have my concerns about the ES cpu’s and further unable to find the steppings  listed

40 Thread Xeon Monster

UK pcpartpicker

Probably getting a prebuilt server with longer warranty and service might be prudent, if you are running a business. If not, the build in the pc partpicker list looks okay to me. I would probably go for rackmount, but that is up to you.

Just now, honor said:

Probably getting a prebuilt server with longer warranty and service might be prudent.

I had consider this, but buying new will blow the budget and Ideally want a tower as I do not have the space for any rack mountable machines. workstations as well new are crazy priced and second hand ones I have looked at the cpus are of an older generation I was originally looking at getting the HP Z620/840 Ideally would have liked something like the Dell C6100.

18 minutes ago, GoblinKiller said:

I had consider this, but buying new will blow the budget and Ideally want a tower as I do not have the space for any rack mountable machines. workstations as well new are crazy priced and second hand ones I have looked at the cpus are of an older generation I was originally looking at getting the HP Z620/840 Ideally would have liked something like the Dell C6100.

Look into the Dell R620 or the T620 or T610 on ebay. You can get some really good deals on used server hardware that's powerful and quiet. I've got two R620s (I know they are rack mounted and you're looking more for towers) and I can't even hear them. I got them sitting in a closet in my room and don't hear anything at night. If the towers are anything like their rackmount counterparts they'll be pretty quiet too :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 1 month later...

for anyone interested I managed to build this machine, below are the specs and some  pics. Ultimately I will do a proper water cooling loop, setup a dedicated network based storage to move it off the local machine and as it was a second hand case will do a few mods to make things look a bit better because as is I had to make some changes to just to mount the 3.5" drives

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/29kHcc