Pc won't boot without a router plugged in

I recently acquired a new pc. But it has a strange catch; it needs to be plugged in to a router to turn on. The reason why was because it used to be a server for video rendering. I want to know if there is anyway to bypass this. I was thinking disabaling the nic, however the guy said that opening the bios can be... Catastrophic to say the least.

The specs are

64 gb ram

Two intel xeon cpus

Old nvidia quadro

Windows 7

1000 watt psu

Sorry specs are kind of vauge theres no documents. And I cant turn it on to check. I'll try to do some detective work to find some serial numbers I can Google.

IDK, I would reset the CMOS if it were me, and just go from there.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

If it's an off the shelf server or server board, find the manual and learn how it works.

You'll likely just have to reset the CMOS to put the BIOS settings all to stock however but server's can have... Interesting settings, so have the manual to explain some of them to you.

I dont really want to reset it. As ashleyashes noted the bios is set very specifically for the hardware. And that isnt something I want to mess with.

52 minutes ago, I Suck At Captchas said:

the guy said that opening the bios can be... Catastrophic to say the least.

Who is "the guy" and why would looking at the bios be "Catastrophic"?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

The guy who gave it to me. It was more of a warning to be careful in my opinion. I know what I'm doing so im not to worried. But I still dont want to clear the cmos or mess around with it to much. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks☺

Sounds to me like it might have the "boot from the network" setting in the BIOS, I used to see this fairly often on Server in the late 1990's and early 2000's. If you didn't have the boot server on the network it would boot locally but if there wasn't a DHCP source on the network that first check would fail and they wouldn't boot. It should be fairly easy to remove that from the boot order, or even just move it to the bottom if you can't eliminate it.

On 7/21/2017 at 1:34 PM, AncientNerd said:

Sounds to me like it might have the "boot from the network" setting in the BIOS, I used to see this fairly often on Server in the late 1990's and early 2000's. If you didn't have the boot server on the network it would boot locally but if there wasn't a DHCP source on the network that first check would fail and they wouldn't boot. It should be fairly easy to remove that from the boot order, or even just move it to the bottom if you can't eliminate it.

Thanks I'll be sure to try that !☺

Update as I was writing this reply,

I tried booting it to see if this fix was possible; And I happend upon a frusterating issue. It would appear as though it isn't powering the keyboard. Now Im plugged into the motherboard so it should be working. But i have a 2 port usb 3.0 pci e card thats lighting up and pulling power, however I can't run the keyboard from there either. Any thoughts?