Help with Headphones

monjanger

I've been an audio euthanasist for some time, however, I have never owned a great set of open headphones or even a decent set of closed headphones. Currently, I use my Phillips X2's, which I love, however, I am looking for something new. I also own a pair of AKG K7XX's which I never use and also have seemingly vanished. They were fine but did not compare to the X2's by any means. I am definitely going to buy the HD650's, but from here I don't know. I have a budget of around $1000, really flexible, but of course the lower the cost the better. I have been looking at the HD800's (Not S), HE560, and HE-400I. I have looked at the HD800's for some time, and they look great but I watch ZReviews, and he seem's not to like them. I honestly think our opinions and preferences are mostly the same due to other headphones I've had and tried. Generally, though, the reviews seem generally positive, which makes me conflicted. The HE560's and HE-400I also look great but any personal opinions would be great. I am also looking for a nice pair of closed headphones, and I've been looking at the HD 8 DJ, and the Shure SRH1540. Both seem to be what I want but again, any personal insight or advice would be great. Based on my loose preferences can anyone steer me in the right direction? 

As far as Dac/Amp goes, I'm probably going to buy a Schiit stack, the Magni 2 and Modi 2, but I'm open to all recommendations. 

The HD800 are very good, but the sound is kind of bland. At that price point you need to try and get whatever you like, everyone is going to have different opinions. If you ask me I would buy a pair of GS1000e, some people hate Grados, some others hate Zeos, and others hate both.

Just try before buying.

17 minutes ago, elira said:

The HD800 are very good, but the sound is kind of bland. At that price point you need to try and get whatever you like, everyone is going to have different opinions. If you ask me I would buy a pair of GS1000e, some people hate Grados, some others hate Zeos, and others hate both.

Just try before buying.

Haha yeah, a lot of people hate Zeos it seems. And I agree, sound is definitely personal. 

Edit: I've narrowed it down to the HD650's, and the HE-400I's. I was curious about a suitable Dac and Amp for these phones, and I've been mostly looking at the Schiit Stack. I also wanted to know if I should be considering the HD800's, and if they would be worth it. 

6 minutes ago, monjanger said:

Edit: I've narrowed it down to the HD650's, and the HE-400I's. I was curious about a suitable Dac and Amp for these phones, and I've been mostly looking at the Schiit Stack. I also wanted to know if I should be considering the HD800's, and if they would be worth it. 

What is your use case? What music do you listen to, do you mix audio, is this for gaming, do you like a lot of bass? Schiit stack is a good setup. 

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

1 hour ago, doits said:

What is your use case? What music do you listen to, do you mix audio, is this for gaming, do you like a lot of bass? Schiit stack is a good setup. 

I would say 40/60 gaming/music. These headphones will most likely be daily drivers at my desk as well. I do not mix audio so a neutral sound is not needed by any means. I would say I enjoy bass, but I don't want it to be overpowering. Also, would the Schiit stack do well with most headphones out there?

2 hours ago, monjanger said:

I would say 40/60 gaming/music. These headphones will most likely be daily drivers at my desk as well. I do not mix audio so a neutral sound is not needed by any means. I would say I enjoy bass, but I don't want it to be overpowering. Also, would the Schiit stack do well with most headphones out there?

Yes, the schiit stack should be enough for most headphones.

If you can tolerate the 6kHz peak, then get a used HD800 for $600. If it's too much to bear, do the SDR mod. HD650 KISS modded has better tonality but technicalities wise it loses out to the HD800 no contest. However, best to try out the headphones for yourself. Zeos reviews can be entertaining but I wouldn't trust him as a reliable source of information.

[THE BEST HEADPHONES]

[MY ENDGAME]

[GIANT KILLER]

[MY ENDGAME AGAIN FINALLY]

[OMG STAX]