Star Citizen cracks $32Million in crowd funding.

Askew

Okay, thats a bit cooler. but how big is it going to be and how many planets and will the entire planet be unlocked so that you can roam it? and can you walk around in the space ship? 

Today on the live stream they said at least 400 planets would have at least 1 landing location where you can explore the surrounding city/area but some have more. Like Earth I think has 4 I think, Terra most likely a couple as well. There are 700 planets on the drawing board right now so that's over half the planets in the game.

And it's not just going to be the same tilesets with a colour swap or a dreary modular thing repeated for every location. The locations will be very different, some will have unifying themes if there is a reason for it in lore/ culture, but they are trying to make each feel unique. Some examples:

Edit: wow I can't post pictures on this forum, that's insane? Never mind, NO EXAMPLES FOR YOU!

Terra_spaceport_sketch_d_color_revise2.j

jstanton-arccorp.jpg

Star-Citizen.png

rsz_gossii_cassel_landing_02.jpg

Edit2: meh, wouldn't let me post any of the best pictures, kept getting an image extension error.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Today on the live stream they said at least 400 planets would have at least 1 landing location where you can explore the surrounding city/area but some have more. Like Earth I think has 4 I think, Terra most likely a couple as well. There are 700 planets on the drawing board right now so that's over half the planets in the game.

And it's not just going to be the same tilesets with a colour swap or a dreary modular thing repeated for every location. The locations will be very different, some will have unifying themes if there is a reason for it in lore/ culture, but they are trying to make each feel unique. Some examples:

Edit: wow I can't post pictures on this forum, that's insane? Never mind, NO EXAMPLES FOR YOU!

Terra_spaceport_sketch_d_color_revise2.j

jstanton-arccorp.jpg

Star-Citizen.png

rsz_gossii_cassel_landing_02.jpg

Edit2: meh, wouldn't let me post any of the best pictures, kept getting an image extension error.

Ok. I stand corrected that looks amazing. however are those gameplay graphics or renders or cutscenes? also, i wish the planets were fully open. and another question. is there like a warp drive thing to make your shipd go faster or will it be slow. also, different galaxy or different universe all together? 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Ok. I stand corrected that looks amazing. however are those gameplay graphics or renders or cutscenes? also, i wish the planets were fully open. and another question. is there like a warp drive thing to make your shipd go faster or will it be slow. also, different galaxy or different universe all together? 

Those are concept art. The top one, Terra, looks a lot like that in engine though, so they tend to follow it pretty closely. I can understand how you want planets to be free roam but that is simply impossible at this level of detail. Maybe if the game had 7 planets, that'd be possible, not 700. Elite will do that kind of thing though, with typical premade seeding and generation, but will be a lot more "samey" and lower detail as a result. There are tradeoffs when doing that type of thing, I'm glad there are two games coming out to do vastly different things very closely.

About cutting down travel time, yes and no. There are jump points, so the minimum distance you have to travel is between each, but the ships all have access to databanks, (game lore/ library) interstellar radio and other entertainment in addition to autopilot.

launch on 2015? man thats a long time really

at that time i would have a gtx 980 and ddr4 and a 6 core cpu from intel

If you don't want to play alpha / beta of which the first starts this christmas (dogfighting module)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Those are concept art. The top one, Terra, looks a lot like that in engine though, so they tend to follow it pretty closely. I can understand how you want planets to be free roam but that is simply impossible at this level of detail. Maybe if the game had 7 planets, that'd be possible, not 700. Elite will do that kind of thing though, with typical premade seeding and generation, but will be a lot more "samey" and lower detail as a result. There are tradeoffs when doing that type of thing, I'm glad there are two games coming out to do vastly different things very closely.

About cutting down travel time, yes and no. There are jump points, so the minimum distance you have to travel is between each, but the ships all have access to databanks, (game lore/ library) interstellar radio and other entertainment in addition to autopilot.

If you don't want to play alpha / beta of which the first starts this christmas (dogfighting module)

How does one get in the alpha/beta and what do you mean 2 games?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

For the alpha/beta you must buy a package that comes with the access. The cheapest one I think is $40 for alpha/beta access, but spend $5 and get a much better starting ship if you don't want to pay for more expensive ships.  https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/318-aurora-ln

Oh I just mean, Elite: Dangerous is another Space Sim coming out doing a lot of things opposite to what Star Citizen is doing and is a lot more free-roam. They're trying to make Star Citizen a highly polished sandbox AAA game, while Elite is "lowering it's standards" (bad description) on visuals and polish to be more open-ended and completely free. Elite also has no FPS element to my knowledge.

Alpha/ beta access is granted at the $40 pledge and up. You also get the full game, so it's basically the full game $20 off already. And the Aurora is not a pathetic beginner ship like in other online games, you can make an Aurora just as upgraded as the next guy's ship, but it has it's own niche which in this case is modularity and an all-round decent profile on all ship parts. So you get decent cargo space, decent (potential) guns, decent (potential) shields etc. And it's not going to be like World of Warplanes or some shit where you have to grind like an idiot to get these things.

For me it's the combination of always having wanted this kind of game and the amount of skilled developers the legend (IMO) Chris Roberts have assembled. From top to bottom, there is not one thing that makes me question that this game will be amazing.

Well first off, it's a space sim, which is a niche genre. That may be why you think it's meh at face value. But this is radically different from any space sim in the past, in that you control a character, not just a ship. You can walk and fight FPS style on planets, space stations, in ship interiors - and everything is beautifully realized with amazing visuals. The ship combat and trading and stuff that is the very core game play of other space sims, is just a small part of the vastness that is Star Citizen.

See Star Citizen as Skyrim without levels in space rather than a traditional space sim, and instead of a horse to ride, you get a ship to fly. That ship just happens to be operating closely to newtonian physics. A fully immersive space world sim. I think that needs to be a new genre named after Star Citizen by the way. Because this game is not just a space sim.

Oh great thanks, now i wannt buy it but i dont want to spend more money...

God damn temptations 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Oh I just mean, Elite: Dangerous is another Space Sim coming out doing a lot of things opposite to what Star Citizen is doing and is a lot more free-roam. They're trying to make Star Citizen a highly polished sandbox AAA game, while Elite is "lowering it's standards" (bad description) on visuals and polish to be more open-ended and completely free. Elite also has no FPS element to my knowledge.

Alpha/ beta access is granted at the $40 pledge and up. You also get the full game, so it's basically the full game $20 off already. And the Aurora is not a pathetic beginner ship like in other online games, you can make an Aurora just as upgraded as the next guy's ship, but it has it's own niche which in this case is modularity and an all-round decent profile on all ship parts. So you get decent cargo space, decent (potential) guns, decent (potential) shields etc. And it's not going to be like World of Warplanes or some shit where you have to grind like an idiot to get these things.

Maybe ill buy it if i ever have extra $

after watching a trailer, I must say. It better be realistic. For example, no noise in space, and realistic physics like, no drag and what not in space so that when you cut off your thrusters you keep going at the velocity and how just putting up some flaps wont slow you down and all that.

Great to see Star Citizen growing up, they deserve another $33 million. Every software company that can pressure hardware manufacturers to bring more performance is good!

I'm really enjoying reading these replies guys, especially the images posted above by That Norwegian Guy