Steam not working on Ubuntu. 16.04 (Mesa Drivers)

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
8 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

snip

10 minutes ago, NinJake said:

snip

It works now *knock on wood*

I found out on hwere in LuBuntu you have to do to show hidden folders. I couldn't see any but I just copy/pasta-ed the folder and deleted the file as recommended here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/771032/steam-not-opening-in-ubuntu-16-04-lts

I did not use the terminal command. Instead I just pressed the delete key whilst the file was selected.

... now to test downloading and seeing if the games will work.

I'm on Lubuntu 64 bit (I think 16.04; I don't know how to check for certainty) and all I did was download steam from steampowere.com, and then download OBS Studio from their website using the instructions on their web page for Ubuntu. (OBS installed and works properly.)

Because OBS only supports CPU encoding, I searched to see how to get software encoding to work. From this link it said to install the Mesa drivers. I did so following this tutorial:

*EDIT* I only followed the MESA tutorial for the first section. I did not do that vertical sync fix part with the 3D accellerator app from the software center. *End of Edit*

Now I try running steam and it simply doesn't work. (and to be fair, it was oddly not working before I installed the mesa drivers.)

Before I installed the Mesa drivers, it wouldn't respond when I opened it from the desktop, or either the Games, nor internet sub menu from the Start Menu equivilent.

Now with Mesa installed and the computer restarted, when I type steam into the terminal I get the following:

Running Steam on ubuntu 16.04 64 bit

STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)

libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so

libGL error: driver pointer missing

libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi

libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

I already googled "Steam not working with Mesa Drivers" and go this link, however I cannot find the folder:

~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

That directory is in the third reply to the OP in that thread.

Before that I found this thread but was still unable to find the directory

~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/

I have so much in common with him.... I just want to play CS:GO again... (Yes, I own windows! No, I don't want to use it. Yes, windows is easier. No... I want to do things the difficult way.)

My system specs:

intel i5 3450

3x 4gb ddr3

MSI AMD R9 390 (NOT the x version. That was too.... X-pensive.)

Just now, Tibbles said:

The errors you got in the console sound a lot like a failed driver install. I had that happen to me on another ubuntu based distro which pretty much put some packages in a sort of limbo state, that couldn't be uninstalled or reinstalled in any way. If I were you then I'd try reinstalling the drivers.

How do I do both of those things?

Enable the ability to see hidden folders,

and

reinstall the drivers

Hmm.. I feel like I've read that downloading steam from their website on linux isn't always the best way to get it. If you do a little searching I'm sure there's a command line way of installing it. Try that?

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Hmm.. I feel like I've read that downloading steam from their website on linux isn't always the best way to get it. If you do a little searching I'm sure there's a command line way of installing it. Try that?

It worked previously, but not this time and I have no idea why.

I also tried sudo apt-get install steam, and my computer couldn't find steam. It was very odd to me.

8 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

snip

10 minutes ago, NinJake said:

snip

It works now *knock on wood*

I found out on hwere in LuBuntu you have to do to show hidden folders. I couldn't see any but I just copy/pasta-ed the folder and deleted the file as recommended here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/771032/steam-not-opening-in-ubuntu-16-04-lts

I did not use the terminal command. Instead I just pressed the delete key whilst the file was selected.

... now to test downloading and seeing if the games will work.

14 minutes ago, fpo said:

I also tried sudo apt-get install steam, and my computer couldn't find steam. It was very odd to me.

that's odd indeed ... i just tried it on mint and it worked ... i can install it from the software center thingy

5968c7c583fd5_Bildschirmfotovom2017-07-1415-30-19.png.a2229a41018a54ef9796e8e4a7f3e8ae.png

shouldn't it be available on the ubuntu software center as well?

46 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

snip

Oddly I could not find it by going to the games section, nor by searching steam.

I just downloaded lightworks, so I haven't tested any games yet, nor found a fix for OBS not being able to video encode with the GPU. I'm going to test now and then post if I have any more issues.

Tomb Raider 2013 worked perfectly fine on LuBuntu with the Mesa drivers from the above video tutorial installation.

To get Counter Strike Global Offensive working I had to follow a guide here for whatever it fixed:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/864959336401282074/?ctp=4

I followed the tutorial on page 4.

I suppose I will make my contribution here

Ubuntu
(should work on Debian too)

#Press the windows key and search for "terminal"
#Click it or press enter to open it
#Type in the first and second command separately

#- The first command enables the repository for 32bit stuff (steam needs to do 64 bit already)
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

#Refresh your local packages list from the remote repository
sudo apt update

#install the compression library packages
sudo apt install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386

#Run the game
(note these libraries are not for the graphics drivers from AMD and Nvidia)

Void Linux (I had the compression error here too)

#Install and enable the multilib (32 bit) repository and the proprietary repository

sudo xbps-install -S void-repo-multilib void-repo-nonfree

#Install the Libraries

sudo xbps-install -S libtxc_dxtn-32bit libtxc_dxtn

#Run the game
(note these libraries are not for the graphics drivers from AMD and Nvidia)

Because I am using a derrivitive of Ubuntu I followed the Ubuntu version of the fix.

My configs from when I played CS:GO on windows did NOT download to my linux computer so I'll have to read them off my old games drive where i installed CS:GO when I used windows 10. (Hopefully they're not encypted to where only windows can read them...)\

The games both took a short amount of time before fully loading, so if you follow this fix, please allow the games to load for at least 3-5 minutes at maximum. Mine only took about 1 whole minute, (60 seconds) however I cannot say for you.