Green Screens

How green does it need to be? Because I have a thin piece of material that's camouflage and I might want to get into green screening for my videos because where I'll be shooting will have a window that I'm not willing to put something over it and for when I do gaming videos and maybe a live stream I'll want one because I know that I won't make my bed some days and how my setup is I wouldn't be able to have it anywhere else because my room is small

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

I think it needs to be one solid color. Though it can be green or blue (maybe more, but those are the two I've seen used). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

pretty sure it needs to be a solid bright? green to be able to calibrate to get rid of the background properly.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

15 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I think it needs to be one solid color. Though it can be green or blue (maybe more, but those are the two I've seen used). 

15 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

pretty sure it needs to be a solid bright? green to be able to calibrate to get rid of the background properly.

Ok I was asking if it would work thanks

It doent have to be green, but it needs to be one solid colour to make it a lot easier.
And DO NOT have it be the same colour as your clothes or stuff.

I have seen people using like a blue screen, but blue clothes are more normal than light green ones...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

It doent have to be green, but it needs to be one solid colour to make it a lot easier.
And DO NOT have it be the same colour as your clothes or stuff.

I have seen people using like a blue screen, but blue clothes are more normal than light green ones...

Ok and it's got a couple of colours

The two colors used on professional sets are blue and green. While it's true that you can technically use any color it's not advised. You need a solid color on a matte surface with little to no texture that is evenly lit to get the best result. Blue is/was used primarily when shooting on film while green is used when shooting on digital because digital cameras are much more sensitive to green light. Both colors were chosen because they are as far away from skin tone as you can get. 

If you want to get into green screening I would suggest buying a cheap green-screen on amazon for like $20. The nice thing about green screens are, if they are a solid matte color it will work just as well as the next one. They can get a bit more expensive when you start adding stands and fancy ways to hold them up, but as far as the fabric goes a $20 screen will be just as good as a $100 one if not a bit less durable. 

Your camo shirt should be fine on either a green or blue screen depending on what software you are using to key it out, but it may take some experimentation. 

The more texture or more different shades of colour, or the closer your clothes are to the green/blue screen, the harder it gets to do it in software.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, Mihle said:

The more texture or more different shades of colour, or the closer your clothes are to the green/blue screen, the harder it gets to do it in software.

Ok that's also on the stuff I need to get on Amazon