i5 3570k Bottleneck?

Hey guys,

I am wondering if you could help me out. Over the past month I've been throwing around upgrading my pc, I'm unsure if I want to build a 7700k or Ryzen 5 1600 build. Today I thought I would look into maybe just getting a different motherboard as my main reason for wanting to upgrade is that 1 of my usb 2.0 ports in the rear I/O has stopped working. I did a few quick tests and ran GTA V on high everything, 2x msaa, 16x anisotropic filtering, render distance maxed, and both population sliders maxed.

Attached is a screenshot (yes, I use two different resolutions for my monitors 1080/720 the 720 is a 2012 LCD tv that is excellent for watching videos and movies, the 1080 is an AOC 2ms 144hz TN monitor that works great for gaming).

Why does my GPU usage drop so low? Can my 3570k not keep up with the demand? From what I can see the CPU isn't completely pegged the entire time.

As stated, CPU is an i5 3570k, it's OC'd to 4.5ghz @ 1.34v cooled by a Cryorig H7.

GPU is a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6gb Windforce OC'd to 2025mhz (which downclocks slightly to 2012 for some reason?)

2x4gb kit of Kingston Beast DDR3 1600mhz OC'd to 1866mhz

ASUS P8Z77V-lk Motherboard

Corsair CX550M

The game is running off a 250gb Samsung 850 Evo (Also my OS drive).

Thanks guys, will check replies tomorrow,

PerfScreenshot_01.png

1600 is better than the 7700k in your use case.

2012mhz is still ok for 1060, my 1070 sometimes drops to 1900mhz when overclocked to 2050mhz at 100% load...

3570k will bottleneck GTA V a tiny bit, maybe slide down populations and render distance.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I like the future upgradeablity on the am4 platform, but I'm not entirely pleased with the current performance of their cpus in gaming. I don't create content, the largest multi-thread workload i do is turning my dvd/blu-ray collection digital.

Even though I'd have to change the entire motherboard, I feel safer with a 7700k for a few years. Not many well known/trust worthy sites or youtubers are testing cpus with GTX 1060s to prove the 1600 can use the 1060 equally to the 7700k and vice versa. 

One thing you might try is to perhaps get a better PSU. I know that might sound strange and 550W might be more than enough for your current system but I had some issues before similar to yours and just by swopping out my PSU for a better quality one, i noticed that my CPU OC was a lot more stable and I would get a lot less fluctuation with regards to my CPU and GPU. I would recommend something with a 80+ Gold Rating and even then, it would be best to check on sites such as HardOCP and JohnnyGuru to see what they recommend. Quality of the power being supplied is far more important than pure wattage rating, I found. A better PSU might not solve all of your problems but it might enable you to get a higher OC on both your CPU and GPU which would equate to more performance.

As for the GPU clocks, the latest Pascal cards tend to fluctuate a lot more than their predecessors. It has to do with the new GPU Boost 3.0 and how it works. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My 1070, which is water cooled to <50C, has clockspeeds that fluctuate slightly when playing games all the time. 

As for IO, you can always get a USB 3.0/USB 2.0 hub/front panel that would plug directly into your motherboard that will provide you with full speed directly from the motherboard without sacrificing on port power as is usually the case with hubs that are USB powered.

17 minutes ago, 1soup said:

I like the future upgradeablity on the am4 platform, but I'm not entirely pleased with the current performance of their cpus in gaming. I don't create content, the largest multi-thread workload i do is turning my dvd/blu-ray collection digital.

Even though I'd have to change the entire motherboard, I feel safer with a 7700k for a few years. Not many well known/trust worthy sites or youtubers are testing cpus with GTX 1060s to prove the 1600 can use the 1060 equally to the 7700k and vice versa. 

While i cant seem to find the exact video, if you look at some of Hardware Unboxed's videos and some from Gamer's Nexus, you will find that the Ryzen 1600 will be fine with your GTX 1060. 

Honestly I am also in the same boat as you, currently running a 2600k and considering my upgrade options.

Your comment above echos my own thoughts exactly, as I also think that even though its more expensive, I too feel that the 7700k would be a better choice from a pure gaming perspective but with Intel's upcoming Cannon Lake and Coffee Lake, I feel like the current Z270 will not be compatible, whereas it seems that the AM4 platform will probably age better over time.

7 minutes ago, James09 said:

While i cant seem to find the exact video, if you look at some of Hardware Unboxed's videos and some from Gamer's Nexus, you will find that the Ryzen 1600 will be fine with your GTX 1060. 

Honestly I am also in the same boat as you, currently running a 2600k and considering my upgrade options.

Your comment above echos my own thoughts exactly, as I also think that even though its more expensive, I too feel that the 7700k would be a better choice from a pure gaming perspective but with Intel's upcoming Cannon Lake and Coffee Lake, I feel like the current Z270 will not be compatible, whereas it seems that the AM4 platform will probably age better over time.

I love GNSteve, I'll have to go look for those.

Cannon Lake and Coffee Lake are going to be strange generations just like Skylake and Kaby Lake. Also, you're right, it will likely use a totally different chipset and socket.