Seeking Help with FX 9590 Crashing Issues

Hi everyone.

I'm not really sure what to do  at this point. My CPU, an ever-notorious AMD Fx 9590, has a consistent problem. Whenever I'm putting it under any sort of load, especially gaming, it will work just fine for a while, but after a seemingly random period of time, my entire computer will freeze up and crash. Nothing responds. I'm fairly sure this is an overheating issue with the CPU, as the only time it hasn't happened is when the room as cold as hell. I *know* it isn't my GPU - I've used this CPU with two different GPUs, and this has happened consistently with both setups.

I'm planning on replacing the motherboard/CPU/RAM when I can afford it, but in the meantime I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this stop. Or at least, occur less frequently - because right now, it's practically every time I run a demanding game for an extended period of time.

My setup is an AMD fx 9590, 16 GB of some unknown RAM (prebuilt computer), Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 motherboard, 128 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, and an EVGA GTX 1080 SC edition.

I've included photos of my BIOS settings. I'd add them as an attachment, but they're about 15 MB over the attachment limit. I've messed around with these a bunch of times, I don't even know what to change any more. Thanks for your help, everyone.

What cooler are you using?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Have you ever actually monitored temps in real time? You can do that with Afterburner, HWinfo, CPUid, that sort of deal. There are plenty of ways to monitor heat to troubleshoot, no need to speculate whether it's overheating or not. Use one of those pieces of software while running a CPU stress test like AIDA or Prime95 and monitor temps.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Just now, arnavvr said:

What cooler are you using?

Some unknown 120mm liquid cooling radiator. Has really crappy fans. I'd replace this, but I haven't the cash to spare for it right now. I need a solution that doesn't change my current hardware, to tide me over until after I move, and get a job.

1 minute ago, LooneyJuice said:

Have you ever actually monitored temps in real time? You can do that with Afterburner, HWinfo, CPUid, that sort of deal. There are plenty of ways to monitor heat to troubleshoot, no need to speculate whether it's overheating or not. Use one of those pieces of software while running a CPU stress test like AIDA or Prime95 and monitor temps.

I actually hadn't thought to use a monitoring program if I'm honest. However, I'd be shocked if this wasn't a heat or voltage related issue if I'm honest.

Wait you have a 9590 with a 1080??? Man that cpu wouldnt run GTA over 8 fps paired with a 390

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

Just now, Dolinare said:

Some unknown 120mm liquid cooling radiator. Has really crappy fans. I'd replace this, but I haven't the cash to spare for it right now. I need a solution that doesn't change my current hardware, to tide me over until after I move, and get a job.

I actually hadn't thought to use a monitoring program if I'm honest. However, I'd be shocked if this wasn't a heat or voltage related issue if I'm honest.

Well the only options you really have are reapply thermal paste and make sure your cooler is on right.

And if that fails buy a new cooler 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

Just now, HunterSkater429 said:

Wait you have a 9590 with a 1080??? Man that cpu wouldnt run GTA over 8 fps paired with a 390

Yeah, this CPU is a massive bottleneck. Like I said, I'm replacing it, I just need to run a patch-job for now.

Just now, Dolinare said:

Looking at your BIOS screenshots, it seems as it your voltage it too high for your cooler. Try 1.475V @ 4.6GHZ with a multiplier of 46

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Just now, HunterSkater429 said:

Well the only options you really have are reapply thermal paste and make sure your cooler is on right.

And if that fails buy a new cooler 

I don't plan on keeping the current cooler I have. Probably going to get a Dark Rock 3 or something.

Just now, arnavvr said:

Looking at your BIOS screenshots, it seems as it your voltage it too high for your cooler. Try 1.475V @ 4.6GHZ with a multiplier of 46

This seems worth trying. I'll reboot, change BIOS settings, and test out PUBG, the latest offender to quickly fry the system.

2 minutes ago, Dolinare said:

-snip-

That's what I'm saying, instead of assuming, the best thing is to monitor in real-time. There's no need to resort to guesstimating when there are tools for the job. Crashes such as yours can be caused by numerous things. Right now what you need mostly is to narrow it down to a certain issue.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

16 minutes ago, Dolinare said:

This seems worth trying. I'll reboot, change BIOS settings, and test out PUBG, the latest offender to quickly fry the system.

Seems to have worked. The game isn't running at an amazing framerate, but that's okay - at least it doesn't kill my computer.

33 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Hell I would try to go even lower on the voltage even if its a slightly lower clock.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

• 5 years later...

Um this might be a little late (if you count 6 years as a little late) I have a similar problem I have the fx 9590 but on its normal clock but under certain leads it just shots down without freezing or anything just gone