Issue with MSI Board and Ryzen CPU Not being detected

Greetings people, I have a very loaded question so please bear with me, My current situation is, I am working with these parts at the moment, MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC MB and I have a ryzen 1600x processor in it. All the components in my board start up fine except I am currently getting a red CPU light flashing on the EZ Debug for the motherboard POST, and I am needing assistance figuring out if maybe I need to flash the bios, I currently have took out the cmos battery in the board, and let it sit, that did absolutely nothing, I reseated ram, nothing... I took out the GPU, nothing, so I am down to thinking I might need to flash the bios and update it, since I haven't done this in a while, Do these motherboards from MSI have a history of needing the bios flashed? If that is the issue here, since I have exhausted all other avenues, how do I go about flashing the MB and trying to get it into the bios? I have on a flash the files I need, it's just been a while since I did something like this, but I need to know if this is concrete what I need to do unless there is another option I have not looked into, thank you, any help is appreciated. If you need the full parts list, I will be happy to provide, thanks for any help!

Have you tried just taking the CPU out and putting it back in?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

15 minutes ago, kanomas said:

Greetings people, I have a very loaded question so please bear with me, My current situation is, I am working with these parts at the moment, MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC MB and I have a ryzen 1600x processor in it. All the components in my board start up fine except I am currently getting a red CPU light flashing on the EZ Debug for the motherboard POST, and I am needing assistance figuring out if maybe I need to flash the bios, I currently have took out the cmos battery in the board, and let it sit, that did absolutely nothing, I reseated ram, nothing... I took out the GPU, nothing, so I am down to thinking I might need to flash the bios and update it, since I haven't done this in a while, Do these motherboards from MSI have a history of needing the bios flashed? If that is the issue here, since I have exhausted all other avenues, how do I go about flashing the MB and trying to get it into the bios? I have on a flash the files I need, it's just been a while since I did something like this, but I need to know if this is concrete what I need to do unless there is another option I have not looked into, thank you, any help is appreciated. If you need the full parts list, I will be happy to provide, thanks for any help!

Legit, used this in a build not too long ago, and had 0 problems. it was for a client so I think its just bad luck on your part

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

Might need to RMA the board one more, not sure yet.

18 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Have you tried just taking the CPU out and putting it back in?

I have tried reseating it multiple times, and we even had another CPU that I had on reserve that is ryzen1500, put into the same MB and got absolutely nothing, and we RMA'd the board once already... Not sure what to do at this point. Which is why I figured we may need to flash the bios, just something. Praying for a answer, lol.

What RAM are you using? Is it on the motherboards QVL? RAM incompatibility issues can trigger a failed POST with a CPU debug LED.

6 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

What RAM are you using? Is it on the motherboards QVL? RAM incompatibility issues can trigger a failed POST with a CPU debug LED.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-8GVR I took out the ram and reseated all of them (I checked each ram stick to see if any we're faulty and even left them all out to boot and still got the light), still got the cpu red light, I took out the cmos, as suggested, still got the red light, I've got nothing at this point. Do you think or suggest that flashing the bios at this point would solve the issue?

5 hours ago, kanomas said:

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory

Model F4-2400C15D-8GVR

The RAM is not listed on your motherboards QVL. While this is not typically an issue, Ryzen is very particular about RAM.

In order to improve RAM support, you may need to update the BIOS. The issue with this however, is that you need to POST the system to be able to update the BIOS.

Do you have access to any other RAM that you can borrow?

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

The RAM is not listed on your motherboards QVL. While this is not typically an issue, Ryzen is very particular about RAM.

In order to improve RAM support, you may need to update the BIOS. The issue with this however, is that you need to POST the system to be able to update the BIOS.

Do you have access to any other RAM that you can borrow?

Not at this time.

Just now, kanomas said:

Not at this time.

You will likely need to take it back to the store then unfortunately. They should be able to diagnose the fault or incompatibility, and update the BIOS for you.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

You will likely need to take it back to the store then unfortunately. They should be able to diagnose the fault or incompatibility, and update the BIOS for you.

It had removable cmos, should I just order the chip, and go from there?

Please fix this post for dark theme users :) 

Just go into the text editor and remove the formatting, thanks.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I'm using B350m mortar and R7 1700 ... didn't have any problems like that for now.

First boot did take about 2min I think, but after that everything worked just fine.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I'm using B350m mortar and R7 1700 ... didn't have any problems like that for now.

First boot did take about 2min I think, but after that everything worked just fine.

Someone pointed out the Ramm is not in the QVL which a lot of bios updates for increased ram compatibility has happened. So I will need to order a new CMOS chip and see if that will solve the problem.

1 minute ago, kanomas said:

Someone pointed out the Ramm is not in the QVL which a lot of bios updates for increased ram compatibility has happened. So I will need to order a new CMOS chip and see if that will solve the problem.

New BIOS update for AGESA 1.0.0.6 is beaing released on MSI motherboard. B350M mortar will gt it in the next few days. At least I hope so. 

And with that BIOS update, it will support even more RAMs.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

New BIOS update for AGESA 1.0.0.6 is beaing released on MSI motherboard. B350M mortar will gt it in the next few days. At least I hope so. 

And with that BIOS update, it will support even more RAMs.

So I should wait before calling MSI for the new CMOS chip with the most recent update?

3 minutes ago, kanomas said:

So I should wait before calling MSI for the new CMOS chip with the most recent update?

Well I don't think I would want to wait if PC isn't working.

You can still get CMOS with current update, and then before you get it, they will release new update, so you can update it on your own.

But if you wait a bit more, and let them provide you BIOS chip with agesa 1.0.0.6 update on it, you are less likely going to brick your motherboard because of updating it.

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 hour ago, Simon771 said:

Well I don't think I would want to wait if PC isn't working.

You can still get CMOS with current update, and then before you get it, they will release new update, so you can update it on your own.

But if you wait a bit more, and let them provide you BIOS chip with agesa 1.0.0.6 update on it, you are less likely going to brick your motherboard because of updating it.

Everything boots, just getting the cpu light, so it might be bios need update for compatability, thanks for the help!

25 minutes ago, kanomas said:

Everything boots, just getting the cpu light, so it might be bios need update for compatability, thanks for the help!

it's your lucky day ... agesa 1.0.0.6 update for your motherboard was released like 1 hour ago xD 

WD My Cloud 4TB

20 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

it's your lucky day ... agesa 1.0.0.6 update for your motherboard was released like 1 hour ago xD 

Well with the CPU light popping on, It won't even POST and let me go into bios, so I am screwed right now. I will have to call MSI.