Control voltage sent to the fans.

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
50 minutes ago, AdeelJeff said:

I'm using the asrock b250 gaming k4 mobo and trying to control a header that has 2 fans connected via phanteks 3-pin Y fan splitter

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/28288/phanteks-3pin-y-splitter-cable.

also using TT riing 12 high static pressure red (is it a good case fan?)

You shouldn't need to set specific voltages for fan speeds. In the motherboard settings under the H/W monitor tab, you should find options to configure fan speeds for the header you're using.

Riings are alright.

Alright, so I'm using the asrock b250 mobo, nzxt s340 elite, and 4 fans. the NZXT s340 elite can support 4 fans while my mobo only has 3 fan headers, if I get one of those splitters I want my mobo to control rpm depending on temps. 3 pin splitters don't allow me to do that. So I just need  a solution to this. Also, I heard that you can control voltage, which then allows you to control rpm, is that correct? 

If you want all the fans to be running at the same speed, you can use a PWM fan splitter, and plug that into your CPU fan header. That should be able to have set RPM's per temp range.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

how do I control voltage sent to my fans? does this allow me to control fan speed? 

Depend on motherboard support and which header supports it. Which motherboard you have? 

Magical Pineapples

Yes, changing the voltage can be used to control fan speeds.

What fans are you trying to control and what motherboard do you have?

Please keep the same discussion to one thread--they have been merged.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, changing the voltage can be used to control fan speeds.

What fans are you trying to control and what motherboard do you have?

Please keep the same discussion to one thread--they have been merged.

I'm using the asrock b250 gaming k4 mobo and trying to control a header that has 2 fans connected via phanteks 3-pin Y fan splitter

50 minutes ago, AdeelJeff said:

You shouldn't need to set specific voltages for fan speeds. In the motherboard settings under the H/W monitor tab, you should find options to configure fan speeds for the header you're using.

Riings are alright.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Riings are alright.

I see, but I am using a Y splitter, 4 pin to 3 pins. So yea, the 4 pin isn't there which is what allows you to control speed through bios. 

1 minute ago, AdeelJeff said:

I see, but I am using a Y splitter, 4 pin to 3 pins. So yea, the 4 pin isn't there which is what allows you to control speed through bios. 

The 4th pin is for a pwm signal which is used for 4pin pwm fans. It's not necessary for fan control.

For 2-3pin fans, variable/modulated voltage can be used through the 2nd pin for control.

18 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 4th pin is for a pwm signal which is used for 4pin pwm fans. It's not necessary for fan control.

For 2-3pin fans, variable/modulated voltage can be used through the 2nd pin for control.

HOLY SH*T, really? I was eating myself up becoz of this! I'll really need to do my research on PWM. Also this is for the splitter correct? it'll work on that? 

2 minutes ago, AdeelJeff said:

HOLY SH*T, really? I was eating myself up becoz of this! I'll really need to do my research on PWM. Also this is for the splitter correct? it'll work on that? 

Yes, the splitter is basically an extension from the header.