Screen freezes with green and purple pixels

Zulac

Hello,

Thanks for any help you are able to give.  I greatly appreciate the support.

The Problem:

Screen keeps freezing and displaying green and purple pixels during different actions (boot up, gaming, general computer usage, browser usage, etc.). 

Notes:

No error codes have shown up on my screen

No pixels during boot in safe mode

I have never overclocked my vga, cpu, or monitor

Build:

Built in 2013

CPU - Intel i7-4770K

VGA - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB

Mother Board - ASRock Z87 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel

Memory - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-pin DDR3

OS - Windows 10 64-bit

PSU - NZXT Hale90 V2 850W ATX12v

Main Monitor - Dell U2713HM 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor

The Events:

Last night while playing a game my computer froze and the screen was pixelated like a checker board with green and purple pixels.  Attempting to use the computer this morning for school work, the computer booted up fine, but after approximately 10min of browser usage the screen turned a brown color reverted back to the screen and froze with the same pixels appearing across the screen.  Since I am running a 2 monitor set up the pixels appear on both screens.  I attempted running with just one monitor and the same thing happened.  After attempting to restart the computer in safe mode the computer would freeze and the pixels would show again at the Windows load screen.  Finally was able to make it to safe mode where things seemed fine and rebooted back to normalcy.  While running normal I managed to revert my vga driver back to an earlier release when this wasn't happening.  After managing to install it, my computer lasted approximately 20min before freezing and displaying the pixels.  I decided to view the boot menu to view the temperature and everything was running between 40-50 degrees Celsius.  It was there I also noticed the pixels along on the screen (see picture).  Now the furthest I can get into my computer before it will freeze with pixels is the log in screen (see picture). 

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

If it is happening in the setup utility, that can indicate a failing GPU. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

GPU is dead.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

GPU is toast. Sorry for your loss.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

I believe that the GPU has lived it's life well but here is some fighting steps.

Try another PCIe slot.

Take a can of compressed air to the PCIe slots.

Pull the CMOS battery while your in to reset the bios config.

Reinstall the drivers from the OEM site.

Final STEP - Reinstall the OS.

Keep in mind it's a 5 year old GPU with lots of runtime I assume.

1 minute ago, xitywampas said:

GPU is toast. Sorry for your loss.

Actually just to be sure try another monitor. But 98% chance its the GPU.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

7 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

Actually just to be sure try another monitor. But 98% chance its the GPU.

Well actually Graphics Memory rather then the processor. Also can be the screen but highly unlikely.

1 minute ago, xitywampas said:

Well actually Graphics Memory rather then the processor. Also can be the screen but highly unlikely.

He tried it with both displays so it's likely the card is dead.

RIP

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

7 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

He tried it with both displays so it's likely the card is dead.

RIP

O. I've never seen a card do that and it not swimming in coolant or dead. I saved a 7800GTX that did it while coolant was leaking on it but that's it.