Ryzen rebuild: no image but no bios codes either

ZeZke

Hi all,

I had the honour of receiving my Dr. Zaber Sentry case yesterday and today I've taken the time to move my hardware to this new Portal case. However when I connect my screen (via DVI), the monitor turns on, but there is only a black screen. The monitor will eventually turn off (power saving kicks in). No beeps or any other codes can be observed from the motherboard, a Biostar X370GTN Racing.

In my first attempts of debugging this, I've verified that the GPU (MSI Aero 1070) was still working (after all, the only thing that was changed is the case, the hardware stayed the same). I've tried with just one of the Corsair RAM sticks. I've tried resetting the CMOS per instruction, but no dice. I've even gone as for as removing everything from the case again so I could verify that the PCI Express riser wasn't the issue.

I'ma bit stuck now to be honest, what else can I try?

65EFD044-C12E-4A9F-A2E3-5B474987F086.JPG

put it straight into the motherboard even though you verified the gpu this is a good step to plug the display into the motherboard

7 minutes ago, TheSneakinSpider said:

put it straight into the motherboard even though you verified the gpu this is a good step to plug the display into the motherboard

depending on the ryzen chip, it may not have an igpu. EDIT: I thought just r7 didn't, but i guess all ryzen chips lack an igpu, so he/she definitely needs the gpu installed.

@ZeZke do you have a beeper that you can plug into the motherboard to hear any beep codes? something like: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Internal-Onboard-Speaker-Motherboard/dp/B0146P072U

Also if you can get your hands on another power supply to verify that's not the issue, that could help identify the problem. I recently helped troubleshoot a friends system that had similar behavior (turned on, fans spun, but no display), and the issue was the PSU not providing stable power to the CPU 8 pin.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

@TheSneakinSpider I've checked and the monitor is working properly via DVI. I've tried connecting directly to the motherboard, but that didn't solve anything. Not that I'd expect it to since no Ryzen CPU has a integrated GPU so far.

@reniat Good suggestion, I am kind of old school and was assuming that the motherboard still had a beeper (turned out it didn't). I am waiting for one. Meanwhile I am going to try to find a test PSU somewhere.

2 hours ago, ZeZke said:

@reniat Good suggestion, I am kind of old school and was assuming that the motherboard still had a beeper (turned out it didn't). I am waiting for one. Meanwhile I am going to try to find a test PSU somewhere.

Yeah I ordered a handful of beepers since they dont typically ship them with motherboards anymore. It might have LED indicators on it though. For example my z270 asus board has a CPU_LED, DRAM_LED, VGA_LED (which is for all gpu output not just the VGA port), and a BOOT_LED. These will cycle through certain colors during boot (though during a healthy boot they cycle too fast to even see really), but if something goes wrong that LED will hold a red light indicating something went wrong on that component. When I forgot to plug in my 8 pin CPU power connectors once, I just looked at the red CPU_LED and then facepalmed when I realized what I had done. 

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

Update: I've finally managed to score a motherboard speaker and connect it. The results is 8 short beeps which seems to indicate Display memory video card read/write failure error. I've tried two different GPU's so far (both confirmed working in another system). Is the motherboard broken?