Best AM2+ CPU

Hey guys
so with decent LGA 775 boards being kinda rare in my area right now i was thinking of using an AMD board in my budget watercooled Lan rig and i came across a Biostar GF8100 M2+ mobo that comes with: 1x Athlon 64 3000 and an Athlon 64 x2 4800. now since both of these cpu's are dual cores and will hold my watercooled GTX 480 back alot so i was thinking of putting a cheap Phenom II 555BE that i'd unlock to 4 cores but ive no idea if it will work since i really dont know much about AMD. I know that AM2+ allows some AM3 cpu's to work but idk about the 555 specifically but i know the 555 is unlockable to a quad core .
Thoughts guys?

22 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

Hey guys
so with decent LGA 775 boards being kinda rare in my area right now i was thinking of using an AMD board in my budget watercooled Lan rig and i came across a Biostar GF8100 M2+ mobo that comes with: 1x Athlon 64 3000 and an Athlon 64 x2 4800. now since both of these cpu's are dual cores and will hold my watercooled GTX 480 back alot so i was thinking of putting a cheap Phenom II 555BE that i'd unlock to 4 cores but ive no idea if it will work since i really dont know much about AMD. I know that AM2+ allows some AM3 cpu's to work but idk about the 555 specifically but i know the 555 is unlockable to a quad core .
Thoughts guys?

All of what you are proposing isn't a good idea in terms of how much performance you will get for your money considering you can get a H81 mainboard and a Haswell core i5 4xxx for about 100-150$. Go get something more modern.

7 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

All of what you are proposing isn't a good idea in terms of how much performance you will get for your money considering you can get a H81 mainboard and a Haswell core i5 4xxx for about 100-150$. Go get something more modern.

lol no thanks im good. i dont thin you understand this is my Lan pc eg: something that doesnt need to be very powerful and something im not spending much at all on certainly not an lga 1150 system which may be that price in the USA but in AUS its alot mooe which is why the system originally ran a great X5460 with a GTX 480 WC with 8GB ddr2 which was fantastic but the mobo died.
in comparison to an lga 1150 system this AMD setup im looking at would cost $50 AUD which isnt even half as much as an lga 1150 cpu.
im still running Sandy bridge i5 2400 and a GTX 780 in my main rig because it does me just fine so Haswell for a lan pc is just ridiculous

20 minutes ago, tlink said:

what is your budget for mobo, ram and cpu?

please dont start on suggesting new hardware im not even slightly interested. if i wanted new hardware i would have bought it by now its just a fact i know little about older AMD hardware that im here.

5 hours ago, nootnoot1277 said:

Hey guys
Thoughts guys?

On the Biostar website it says that this board supports Phenom II CPU's. Several other sites confirm that the Phenom II 545 and 550 will work in this board (as well as phenom II 7xx,8xx and 9xx series) but none of them mention the Phenom II 555BE specifically. 

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=362

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Biostar/GF8100_M2+_SE_6.x.html

Also, I found this in an old review of the CPU From http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2490

"Like all of AMD's socket AM3 processors, the Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition is compatible with socket AM3 motherboards and socket AM2+ as well. This is thanks to both DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers being integrated on the processor itself."

My guess is that it would probably work fine in your board, whether you will be able to unlock 4 cores is another thing....

Hope this helped.

12 hours ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

On the Biostar website it says that this board supports Phenom II CPU's. Several other sites confirm that the Phenom II 545 and 550 will work in this board (as well as phenom II 7xx,8xx and 9xx series) but none of them mention the Phenom II 555BE specifically. 

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=362

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Biostar/GF8100_M2+_SE_6.x.html

Also, I found this in an old review of the CPU From http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2490

"Like all of AMD's socket AM3 processors, the Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition is compatible with socket AM3 motherboards and socket AM2+ as well. This is thanks to both DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers being integrated on the processor itself."

My guess is that it would probably work fine in your board, whether you will be able to unlock 4 cores is another thing....

Hope this helped.

Yeah biostar's website is pretty basic with that haha.
ah ok so maybe ill hunt around for an AM2 quadcore and go for that instead

It did help thanks for actually giving me an answer instead of criticizing or suggesting new components.