R7 1700 stock cooler + ram 3200mhz. Overclock?

Hi guys, i've just got a R7 1700 with the stock cooler; the geil kit (2x8gb) 3200mhz memory amd recommended and a Asrock x370 fatality k4 mobo.

I was reading lots of user opinions and reviews about the R7 1700 with the stock cooler. Some say to overclock it to 3.8 or 3.9, others say to let it at it's stock values because of the XLR that already achieve 3.7 at turbo. Keep in mind that this is considering the usage of the stock cooler.

Another question is about the memory overclock. Can i achieve 3200mhz without disabling the XLR if i didnt overclock the cpu too or i will have to overclock it to at least 3.7 to have 3200mhz ram?

What do you guys recommend me to do?

7 minutes ago, Slazyel said:

Hi guys, i've just got a R7 1700 with the stock cooler; the geil kit (2x8gb) 3200mhz memory amd recommended and a Asrock x370 fatality k4 mobo.

I was reading lots of user opinions and reviews about the R7 1700 with the stock cooler. Some say to overclock it to 3.8 or 3.9, others say to let it at it's stock values because of the XLR that already achieve 3.7 at turbo. Keep in mind that this is considering the usage of the stock cooler.

Another question is about the memory overclock. Can i achieve 3200mhz without disabling the XLR if i didnt overclock the cpu too or i will have to overclock it to at least 3.7 to have 3200mhz ram?

3.8 all cores def. Maybe the rest but it depends on ur ambients. And only the x models have XLR. and u can get to 3200 mhz no matter what

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

On The R7 1700 the Turbo will only put 3.7 to 2 cores, when using all cores it will only go to 3.2 GHz.

On the stock cooler, you should be able to get 3.7-3.8 GHz, I was able to get to 3.8GHz on stock cooler with temps <80°C.

Memory overclock will depend on the silicon lottery on the CPU's IMC, but won't depend on your CPU overclock. If you are lucky, it will work with enabling XMP, if not you might need to manually find your systems limits.

I recommend you manually overclock, carefully incrementing from 3.2 to 3.8 stressing the system at each point and monitoring the temperatures. Around 3.6-3.7 you might find voltage increase required, causing significant temperature increases with each step. Stop when you no longer feel comfortable with the OC.

19 minutes ago, Slazyel said:

Using the stock cooler i was able to get 1.25V 3.7Ghz perfectly and it ran decently cool. To keep temps below 70C i'd recommend a 30$ Air cooler if you want to push it to 1.35V-1.38V. 

Wouldn't recommend going past 1.4V on even a AIO for 24/7. 

First thing to do is test memory and run the CPU at stock and set the memory to the correct settings if it boots into windows turn off your PC and turn it back on and make sure it can boot during a cold boot test(mine has issues doing that at 3200mhz)

After that test memory with MEMTEST and try and get to 1000% coverage(takes about 4 hours). After that you can claim memory is stable then the next step is CPU overclocking.