Wrist pain

Tordal

Hi! 

I've been using PC for gaming and work for a few years now, and despite spending around 8-12 hours in front of a PC on weekdays, I've never really considered ergonomy until recently when I started experiencing some mild pain in my left wrist after weeks of copy+paste work during the day and button mashing in WoW in the evenings. (Hours upon hours with shift and ctrl combinations).

At work I'm using Logiteck K750 and MX Master. At home I'm using Ducky Shine TKL with browns, ducky wrist rest and a Razer Naga (new one).

At first it was quite noticeable (difficult to lift my 15kg daughter), but now as the work is more varied and I swapped to healing (less keys and more mouse) I don't notice it anymore.

However I do notice it when I play quite "spammy" dps characters where I'm constantly mashing the keyboard for a few hours.

I've googled around a bit and found some exercises that are supposed to help (haven't really started noticing the difference yet).

What sort of hardware would ease the strain on my wrist while gaming? Would it cause less strain on my wrist with a laptop style keyboard? They feel easier to press than my ducky at least. Does ergonomic keyboards like the curvy Microsoft ones make a difference?

Anyone here who have had the same issues? How did you overcome it?

8 minutes ago, Tordal said:

Hi! 

I've been using PC for gaming and work for a few years now, and despite spending around 8-12 hours in front of a PC on weekdays, I've never really considered ergonomy until recently when I started experiencing some mild pain in my left wrist after weeks of copy+paste work during the day and button mashing in WoW in the evenings. (Hours upon hours with shift and ctrl combinations).

At work I'm using Logiteck K750 and MX Master. At home I'm using Ducky Shine TKL with browns, ducky wrist rest and a Razer Naga (new one).

At first it was quite noticeable (difficult to lift my 15kg daughter), but now as the work is more varied and I swapped to healing (less keys and more mouse) I don't notice it anymore.

However I do notice it when I play quite "spammy" dps characters where I'm constantly mashing the keyboard for a few hours.

I've googled around a bit and found some exercises that are supposed to help (haven't really started noticing the difference yet).

What sort of hardware would ease the strain on my wrist while gaming? Would it cause less strain on my wrist with a laptop style keyboard? They feel easier to press than my ducky at least. Does ergonomic keyboards like the curvy Microsoft ones make a difference?

Anyone here who have had the same issues? How did you overcome it?

I think there is ergonomic mouse, the shape is like a keyboard 

I had the same issue in the past, did a carpal tunnel surgery after all hand therapy and massages fail

1 minute ago, Its Not Important said:

I think there is ergonomic mouse, the shape is like a keyboard 

I had the same issue in the past, did a carpal tunnel surgery after all hand therapy and massages fail

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I'm not having issues with my mouse arm, it is the left wrist that I'm having issues with.

You shouldn't need to change any of your hardware. Ergonomic keyboards can help, but they probably won't change your life.

Make sure that your setup is adjusted for proper ergonomics. Typing posture is incredibly important as well, especially keyboard and wrist placement. General guides for computer ergonomics are available all over the internet.

It can be normal to feel tired after a long typing session, but you should never feel pain. If this pain is lasting longer or becoming more frequent, it might be a good idea to see a doctor.

Just now, Tordal said:

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I'm not having issues with my mouse arm, it is the left wrist that I'm having issues with.

Oooh sorry i guess its just not clicking for me.... i mean you can try a lighter switches or linear ones. And i guess Microsoft ergonomic keyboard sorta work since its so popular

I guess my suggestion is doing less repetitive task with your arms. It might lead to carpal tunnel syndrom like me

Just now, Its Not Important said:

I guess my suggestion is doing less repetitive task with your arms. It might lead to carpal tunnel syndrom like me

Further to this, it's never a bad idea to take a break every 30 - 60 minutes. Just stand up, take a few steps on the spot, stretch your wrists, and look away from the screen before returning to work.

Thanks for the input guys. Considering my wrists are okay now I'll be sticking with my current hardware and get to work on my relieving exercises. If the discomfort comes back I'll go see a doctor.

Not a bad idea to get off the chair between wipes in WoW, as well as during working hours.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update for those of you who might visit this thread. My wrist pain has gradually faded, despite the gaming and work activities staying the same (or maybe even increased). At the moment I can barely feel anything, so at this rate it should be completely gone in a month or two. 

I've done the following things:

• Created a copy and paste macro on my work PC (no more reaching down for the Ctrl button with my pinky).
  • Created some auto-play macros on my work PC (for working in spreadsheets and Microsoft Dynamics AX) to solve repetetive work (leaning back and drinking coffee while the macro does the work for the win!
  • Bought a Razer game pad for my late night WoW gaming (quite a bit more ergonomic than the square standard keyboard I use for typing).
  • Wrist rests all over the place, both for mouse and keyboards.
  • 1-3 minute breaks every hour, to stretch my legs and do some simple muscle exercises (the latter only once per day at the start and less often now).

Hopefully someone can find this info helpful.