what should I do?

PcNo0b

I think my cpu cooler is dying because it makes this sound when I start it up first time of the day.
I just bought a graphics card and installed it and now it makes this sound

Im worried about my computer and my cpu reaches 90 degrees celcius plus when I play games
what should I do?

Edited by Spotty

What are your specs?

Are you sure that it's the cpu cooler causing the sound? Does stopping the cpu cooler fan with your hand stop the noise?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs?

Are you sure that it's the cpu cooler causing the sound? Does stopping the cpu cooler fan with your hand stop the noise?

yes, i stopped it with my finger, and the noise was gone then as soon as i let go the noise was back.

Specs:

mobo:MSI A78M-E45 V2

ram:8

cpu: amd a8-5600k

gpu: GTX750TI-PH-2GD5

As WoodenMarker said, try stopping the fan with your hand, does the noise stop?

figure out what fan isn't working and replace it. if it's a stock cooler, buy a new and better cooler, others tend to use normal case fans in varying sizes, if this is the case, just replace the fan with a new one, and make sure it's not making contact with anything else

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

1 minute ago, PcNo0b said:

yes, i stopped it with my finger, and the noise was gone then as soon as i let go the noise was back.

Specs:

what cooler do you have that's making the noice?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

Just now, PcNo0b said:

Specs:

It sounds like there could be a cable too close to the fan blades. Check to see if there are any near the cooler. If you're using the stock cooler, also check to see if the wires in the fan frame are flush and not bending up into the fan blade area.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, Changis said:

what cooler do you have that's making the noice?

do not know because its a prebuilt from some local shop. but my cooler looks like this https://www.google.com.au/search?q=deepcool+purple+cooler&safe=active&rlz=1C1PRFI_enAU725AU725&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjejdDFjOXUAhVL7BQKHQRGDtUQ_AUICigB&biw=1680&bih=944#safe=active&tbm=isch&q=purple+cpu+cooler&imgrc=7vzU48unU2yj1M:

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It sounds like there could be a cable too close to the fan blades. Check to see if there are any near the cooler. If you're using the stock cooler, also check to see if the wires in the fan frame are flush and not bending up into the fan blade area.

there is a cable behind it but its the cpu cooler's cable. Should I remove the cooler and clean it? 

Just now, PcNo0b said:

there is a cable behind it but its the cpu cooler's cable. Should I remove the cooler and clean it? 

If it's caked with dust, sure. Cleaning it can help lower your temps. I was suggesting for you to take a closer look and see if the cpu cooler fan's cable was bending up and hitting the fan blades.

1 minute ago, PcNo0b said:

cleaning the CPU cooler might help.. it might be dust buildup, but if its the fan cable, it is probably not making contact underneath the heatsink.. if it doesnt help, just replace it, a new ok cooler isn't that expensive

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

If it's caked with dust, sure. Cleaning it can help lower your temps. I was suggesting for you to take a closer look and see if the cpu cooler fan's cable was bending up and hitting the fan blades.

I usually shut down the computer then turn it back on and the sound is gone. 

8 minutes ago, PcNo0b said:

I usually shut down the computer then turn it back on and the sound is gone. 

I was expecting a confirmation on whether or not the cable flush to the fan frame. Can you post a photo of the cpu fan so that we can see the wire?

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I was expecting a confirmation on whether or not the cable flush to the fan frame. Can you post a photo of the cpu fan so that we can see the wire?

here you go

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

does the fan feel loose if you try to move it? it might be loose and if it is, replace it asap, though finding a good one with that type of fastener might not be easy.. 

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

9 hours ago, PcNo0b said:

here you go

Ah, that's not the stock cooler which explains your high temps. Do you still have the stock cpu cooler lying around?

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ah, that's not the stock cooler which explains your high temps. Do you still have the stock cpu cooler lying around?

no and how do i remove the cooler? thinking to replace it with hyper T4

29 minutes ago, PcNo0b said:

no and how do i remove the cooler? thinking to replace it with hyper T4

it's one of those oldschool clip ones.. you see the ends on the metal fastener that goes through the middle? the ones with three lines indented into it.. you put your thumbs on each and press downwards with a little force and bend it away from the cpu.. 

this video shows a similar fastened heatsink, the one in the video is the kind you need a screwdriver to open, but the one you have should be able to be opened with just your hands, the fastening mechanism is the same however, a clip over a tab on the socket.

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

5 hours ago, PcNo0b said:

no

The cooler you currently have doesn't seem adequate. Since the system was a prebuilt, the system was probably not intended to have a graphics card added in.

You should get a better cooler if possible.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

Do you know how much clearance is available for the cooler?