Need Virtual Machine help!

Mini Van Dan

Anyone know if there's a Windows XP VM that would work on Windows 10 and if it does would it be able to play games that you have hard copies for? I have a few games I'd like to play that only work on Windows XP and was wondering how I could make them work on Windows 10.

18 minutes ago, Mini Van Dan said:

Anyone know if there's a Windows XP VM that would work on Windows 10 and if it does would it be able to play games that you have hard copies for? I have a few games I'd like to play that only work on Windows XP and was wondering how I could make them work on Windows 10.

You could try using VirtualBox.

However Windows does not allow GPU virtualization. You have to rely on whatever VirtualBox says is "3D acceleration", which last time I tried, didn't really work as well as I thought it would.

Actually, I found out it works pretty well.

0629172021_HDR.thumb.jpg.86ea7016eb5e81886fb90c351cd78b93.jpg

This is a DX9 app I used as a sanity check. Apparently the VM thinks I'm using a GeForce 6800. Note however the same app when run natively on Windows 10 on my machine gets like 1000 FPS.

However, don't take this to mean there won't be any problems because the GPU is emulated.

EDIT: And here's an actual game. It also picked it up as a GeForce 6800

5955c939563f8_itworks2.thumb.jpg.ec96eb53141e85a338db7c777b54b805.jpg

It doesn't exactly answer your question of Windows Xp VM under Windows 10 but there's an even better way to get the same thing. You could use KVM/Qemu and PCI passthrough the video card to your XP machine, while running a Windows 10 VM in parallel for your daily work. Both windows machines will run on top of Linux with almost no overhead! You do need more than video card for this to work though and it's harder to set up.