Xeon Nas build

Hello everyone, im looking into building a nas after i make my PC (gonna take a while). So far my plan is to Run freenas (though if unraid is a one time payment i might go that route) maybe trying to run a few VMs or Jails in freenas to make it a plex box and if possible automatically rip dvds and make them viewable by plex, should this be possible i was thinking about getting this Ebay listing   (a xeon e5 1650 with a tin can around it) to get the base components from, maybe moving it into a Masterbox or something with pleanty of drive storage. Or, conversely leaving the machine alone and just changing the mobo and power supply and get that 5 drive bay thing that linus used to make the Gameing tower nas.

Mostly i just want feedback to see what people think about it. Thank you guys for your time in advance and i hope to hear back :) 

Just now, RickyD96 said:

maybe moving it into a Masterbox

not happening, those are propertiery motherboards.

How much storage?

Why not just add a few drives to you desktop, make a volume with storage spaces, and share them in windows.

For that price Id either get a new system or a get a qnap nas. Both options are much lower power.

@Electronics Wizardy Hmmm true... then it would probably end up being cheaper to get a used e5 1650, and just make a build around it, as for adding drives for the pc i dont think ryzen (planning on getting the 1600x) supports raid 5 which is what i would want for the redundancy 

storage im planning for more or less 15 tb total with 12 of it usable for redundancy  in a raid 5. So 5 3tb Ironworf drives are what im looking into right now.

making a volume on the network could probably be a good option for now, run the dirves as a raid one for redundancy incase one drive fails...

Just now, RickyD96 said:

i dont think ryzen (planning on getting the 1600x) supports raid 5 which is what i would want for the redundancy 

The cpu doesn't support raid, that dependt of software or the hardware raid card.

Don't use raid on the motherboard, it sucks, using zfs or storage spaces is much better.