Win not using all the ram?

Hi! Long time viewer first time poster.

I have noticed that my activity manager tells me 16gb ram is installed, however i have never seen more than about 5-8gb get used. Instead the virtual memory gets filled. Its at 8/31gb atm. That seems... wrong.

It says the two 8gb slots of ddr3 is installed. Is one in the wrong mb-slot? Do i have some win10 settings whacked out?

A few firefox tabs are often enough to lock it up for a short while. Never happened before a while back.

Im running an semi old system of 4770k, ddr3 and a Asus z87-pro with gtx960.

It's likely because 16GB is overkill for everything except rendering and the occasional triple A game. It just doesn't need to be utilised.

5 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

It's likely because 16GB is overkill for everything except rendering and the occasional triple A game. It just doesn't need to be utilised.

It doesnt use more than 8 while rendering gameplay videos either (90% sure). And how is virtual memory being way over utilized better?

attachin cpu-z output

FERMION-DATOR.html

Integrated gfx is disabled in bios. Maybe it still dedicates?

Rendering doesn't really use that much ram.

When I had 16 gigs of ram it would only go over 8 gigs while playing Rust, rest of the time it was well under that

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Whaz dis mean and how do i change it?

Namnlös.jpg

11 minutes ago, f3rm1on said:

Whaz dis mean and how do i change it?

You can't change the amount of dedicated vRAM. That's built into your GPU.

19 minutes ago, f3rm1on said:

Integrated gfx is disabled in bios. Maybe it still dedicates?

Integrated graphics will never get more than 128MB by default, shouldn't be an issue.

So. My 2GB gfx has over 10gb availiable memory? How does that work? Do i have to share (dedicate?) those 8gb of system ram to the gfx?

52 minutes ago, f3rm1on said:

I have noticed that my activity manager tells me 16gb ram is installed, however i have never seen more than about 5-8gb get used. Instead the virtual memory gets filled. Its at 8/31gb atm. That seems... wrong.

This is nothing. What it means is you have more ram than you need.

52 minutes ago, f3rm1on said:

A few firefox tabs are often enough to lock it up for a short while. Never happened before a while back.

Fire fox has not been the best performing browser for some time. There could be a number of reasons why this is occurring. You might want to dig around the settings and clear any stored data, cache, browsing history, basically return Firefox back to a freshly installed state. There are a number of articles online you can read about for making Firefox faster. Also check your extension. Sometimes malware installs bad extensions. Sometimes user accidentally installs bad extensions

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Thank you.

Maybe i should use the ~8gb of extra ram as a pagefile-partition using a ramdrive? Any real benefit to this? Im sure i saw a video where linus went over the subject....

If i set the max size of the page file to 8 instead of letting windows decide itself and using freaking 32gb, would it be beneficial or detremental?

NVM the ramdrive thing.

I feel the system is using the page file too much and it slows it down. Would it be beneficial to not let windows decide the size itself and reduce it to the recommended ~2.9gb?

2 minutes ago, f3rm1on said:

NVM the ramdrive thing.

I feel the system is using the page file too much and it slows it down. Would it be beneficial to not let windows decide the size itself and reduce it to the recommended ~2.9gb?

Don't be concerned about the size. Be concerned about the frequency of page faults. Because you have so much free ram your computer will not be using page file much. If you suspend your computer you will find the use increase. This is normal, it is just the OS writing ram contents to disk

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Ok, that makes sense. I rarely shut down completly. I come from linux so i never had to.

I reduced the size to the recommended anyways. Lets see how that goes. Thanks for quick replys.