$ File.

Don't really know if this is the right section.

Anyway, I was browsing the web when my browser downloaded a file named "$" without even asking me. I immediately deleted the file but this was rather weird and suspicious.

It was a very small file named " $ " and the file type was "file".

Anyone have any idea wtf was that?

I was in the Gamepedia site if this matters, but I have no clue that the site has anything to do with the file.

Chasis: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo || PSU: Seasonic PX 650 || Mobo: MSI Z690 Pro A || CPU: Intel i5 12600K || CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB @3200 || GPU: AORUS 4070 ti Elite || Boot Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB || Secondary Drive: Crucial MX300 525GB || HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Intake Fans: 3x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Exhaust Fans: 2x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless || Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4Q with Cherry MX Browns || Monitor: Acer Predator IPS 165Hz GSync

Any thing with the extension .file means it has no file type, its a good joke between me and my mates XD. I have seen it before but can't remember where, but its defiantly suspicious, probably from a pop up

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

3 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Any thing with the extension .file means it has no file type, its a good joke between me and my mates XD. I have seen it before but can't remember where, but its defiantly suspicious, probably from a pop up

There was no PopUp whatsoever. Hope the windows 10 defender won't find anything.

Chasis: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo || PSU: Seasonic PX 650 || Mobo: MSI Z690 Pro A || CPU: Intel i5 12600K || CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB @3200 || GPU: AORUS 4070 ti Elite || Boot Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB || Secondary Drive: Crucial MX300 525GB || HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Intake Fans: 3x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Exhaust Fans: 2x Lian Li UniFan SL120 || Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless || Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4Q with Cherry MX Browns || Monitor: Acer Predator IPS 165Hz GSync

1 minute ago, hiimFred said:

There was no PopUp whatsoever. Hope the windows 10 defender won't find anything.

Thats surprising. If you are concerned get a trial copy of malwhere bytes and run a full scan, I would do that anyway every 2 mounts. I doubt it did anything any way as its not a registry file or an exactable. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?