Looking for an Effect

Hi there, I am looking for a certain type of effect that is often used in movies. The effect is when a car or other moving object passes and, while there is nothing behind it in the beginning, after it passes there is a person there. I don't know what the effect is called or whether it is done in camera or in post. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Got an example?

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any video examples, but this website lists some of examples that have been used. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VehicleVanish) Scroll down and to the film category and you will see what I am talking about. Those are the types of effects that I am looking for, but don't know exactly how to do it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any video examples, but this website lists some of examples that have been used. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VehicleVanish) Scroll down and to the film category and you will see what I am talking about. Those are the types of effects that I am looking for, but don't know exactly how to do it.

ok op this requires a tripod, a car, your camera and a actor. 1st you get a shot of the street then very carefully without moving the tripod start the camera get into your car and drive past the camera. Then have your actor get into place WITHOUT MOVING THE CAMERA SO ITS A CLEAN CUT and then cut it together using your favorite program. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

ok op this requires a tripod, a car, your camera and a actor. 1st you get a shot of the street then very carefully without moving the tripod start the camera get into your car and drive past the camera. Then have your actor get into place WITHOUT MOVING THE CAMERA SO ITS A CLEAN CUT and then cut it together using your favorite program. 

Thanks for the reply. So it is all done with in-camera effects? 

What about something like this?

Thanks for the reply. So it is all done with in-camera effects? 

What about something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SQFdNE6OOQ

its not really an effect its just well placed cuts, The tripod pans into the street, stays completely still then a car passes by and the very second the car passes by you cut in your actor standing there. if done very fluidly it can have the effect your looking for op 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

its not really an effect its just well placed cuts, The tripod pans into the street, stays completely still then a car passes by and the very second the car passes by you cut in your actor standing there. if done very fluidly it can have the effect your looking for op 

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Yeah it can be done in a few different ways with or without any post production.

With some clever cutting you can divert the viewers attention away enough to make it look seamless, like in the match advert cited on that website you linked:

Or you can do it in post with some masking tools, couldn't find any examples of it, most big productions seem to go with the cutting method, but be warned audio plays a big role in all of this, music and sound effects really help to give he feeling of a seamless scene.

Watch this without the audio and see how it destroys the effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGl_W_7tfNI