Zotac gtx 1050 ti OC edition locked at higher core clock? (1800+ MHz @idle)

Go to solution Solved by scorpionk,

I found the cause behind this problem. In task manager nvtray.exe(32 bit) process runs in background which is the main reason behind 90%+ gpu usage at idle. The temporary solution is to kill(end) the process. If you kill the process gpu clock will return at 130-140Mhz and temp at 350C. But it will restart at next reboot.

The following image shows the location of nvtray.exe which is in C:\Windows\Temp.

temp.PNG

Hello everyone. I bought Zotac gtx 1050 ti OC edition from local store. Normally my gpu core clock is constant at 1820-1840 MHz and temp at 65-69 degree celcius. So i increased fan speed to 75%which results in decreasing temp up to 61-63 degree celcius. But even when I'm not playing games the core clock is still above 1800 MHz using 85-90% of it's tdp having temp above 60 degree celcius . Is it normal with OC edition?  Because my friend is using non oc edition and he has lower core clock and temp.   

P.S. I didn't do any overclocking, In fact whatever you do with firestorm the gpu core clock remains constant. It looks like it is locked at 1800+ MHz.

Following image showing status at normal pc usage.

Capture.PNG

5 minutes ago, scorpionk said:

Hello everyone. I bought Zotac gtx 1050 ti OC edition from local store. Normally my gpu core clock is constant at 1820-1840 MHz and temp at 65-69 degree celcius. So i increased fan speed to 75%which results in decreasing temp up to 61-63 degree celcius. But even when I'm not playing games the core clock is still above 1800 MHz using 85-90% of it's tdp having temp above 60 degree celcius . Is it normal with OC edition?  Because my friend is using non oc edition and he has lower core clock and temp.   

P.S. I didn't do any overclocking, In fact whatever you do with firestorm the gpu core clock remains constant. It looks like it is locked at 1800+ MHz.

Following image showing status at normal pc usage.

Capture.PNG

my 1070 is at 1025@ idle and at 51c i think its just windows 10

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

1 minute ago, That-Something_ said:

my 1070 is at 1025@ idle and at 51c i think its just windows 10

also make sure you don't have a game open in the background, sometimes they don't close properly 

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

9 minutes ago, That-Something_ said:

also make sure you don't have a game open in the background, sometimes they don't close properly 

Nope. No game is running at background. Also this ismage is taken after booting the computer and before opening any game. So You are telling me this is because windows 10? . I just want to know that it doesn't affect lifespan of graphic card.

• 1 month later...

I found the cause behind this problem. In task manager nvtray.exe(32 bit) process runs in background which is the main reason behind 90%+ gpu usage at idle. The temporary solution is to kill(end) the process. If you kill the process gpu clock will return at 130-140Mhz and temp at 350C. But it will restart at next reboot.

The following image shows the location of nvtray.exe which is in C:\Windows\Temp.

temp.PNG