New here, lets chat!

Siq

Heya there, 

Looking to get more emerged with people who share a common interest in all this. I'm planning to upgrade soon, so I'm curious to what everyone does with their old parts after an upgrade! Do you guys just keep them, put them into smaller systems, sell them? So on so on. 

Thank you!

It'll be cool to chat

| i'm bad at games, but play them anyways |

Just now, Tibbles said:

I keep mine, unless they're broken.

Fair enough. I'm thinking of just putting them into a mini-atx case and using it as a media PC for the time being. Being a uni student, I don't really have the storage for heads of parts and boxes though. 

i tend to give my old parts to a friend so he gets an upgrade too. then i take his even older parts and build new systems for other people

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

6 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

i tend to give my old parts to a friend so he gets an upgrade too. then i take his even older parts and build new systems for other people

I like that, +1 for being a top friend aha. I see a lot of people here just sell up and move on, my soon to be old parts aren't all that high end, and the low amount I'd get for it wouldn't really help all that much.

I tend to keep them. I still have my old i3 I dropped and bent a corner. It still works though, I just need another LGA 1155 system. My initial plan was to slowly upgrade my whole system and eventually end up with 2 systems, my first system with the exact parts list, literally every original part, and then have my main system. Instead what I'm doing is upgrading my system bit by bit and having the original case, and thats about it. I'll then find another case, gut it, and put all my old parts in it. Then build a system out of the other hardware.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 GPU: MSi GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC RAM: 14GB DDR3 (3x2GB, 1x8GB) Mobo: Acer MB.GAU07.001 Case: Gateway DX4860 PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze Plus

Sell everything. I usually factor in the sale price to my budget for a new part, so I can afford something faster. As an example, I purchased a 1080 a while ago, but wouldn't have been able to if I'd kept my 980ti. Selling it made it possible to afford a much better card. 

However, I do keep around some older video cards, CPUs, and motherboards, because you never know when they might come in handy

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

24 minutes ago, a e s t h e t i c a s said:

I tend to keep them. I still have my old i3 I dropped and bent a corner. It still works though, I just need another LGA 1155 system. My initial plan was to slowly upgrade my whole system and eventually end up with 2 systems, my first system with the exact parts list, literally every original part, and then have my main system. Instead what I'm doing is upgrading my system bit by bit and having the original case, and thats about it. I'll then find another case, gut it, and put all my old parts in it. Then build a system out of the other hardware.

I was considering keeping my old rig (old meaning after I upgrade in a few days), and get a couple large HDDs and put them into a RAID for my videography storage. ( I'm studying film rn, planning to move into Cinematography). But to do that I'd need to put a couple hundred more into old parts instead of that hundred into my newer PC system.

22 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

Sell everything. I usually factor in the sale price to my budget for a new part, so I can afford something faster. As an example, I purchased a 1080 a while ago, but wouldn't have been able to if I'd kept my 980ti. Selling it made it possible to afford a much better card. 

However, I do keep around some older video cards, CPUs, and motherboards, because you never know when they might come in handy

Yeah, see. Nobody is really all that interested in a cheap LGA1150 mobo, DDR3 Ram and an i5 4460 around Sydney right now ( from what I can see). If a second PC for media or such isn't what I want after I upgrade my current one, I'll no doubt just sell or put it into a RAID for storage.

Just now, Siq said:

Yeah, see. Nobody is really all that interested in a cheap LGA1150 mobo, DDR3 Ram and an i5 4460 around Sydney right now ( from what I can see). If a second PC for media or such isn't what I want after I upgrade my current one, I'll no doubt just sell or put it into a RAID for storage.

ah, supply but no demand

in that case, turn it into a NAS, Plex server, or something

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

I burn my old parts in a bon fire out in the bush on crown federal land.

3 minutes ago, yathis said:

I burn my old parts in a bon fire out in the bush on crown federal land.

Yeah the boys. Yeah nah, I actually can't afford to do such a thing, especially when all my parts are bought from the classic minimal wage job grind.

10 minutes ago, Siq said:

Yeah the boys. Yeah nah, I actually can't afford to do such a thing, especially when all my parts are bought from the classic minimal wage job grind.

You need to work smarter not harder. Find ways to boost your income level. I literally tell drunken bums that when they get hit by a taxi or commercial vehicle or any car (thats insured) when you are bottle picking and walking around and you get hit by a vehicle....... you say ouch you get $8000, break a bone (like a leg or an arm) thats $50k, spine $500k (healed properly) I have been hit by a car many times, minding my own business, not looking to get hit by a car. Taxi's are the worst offenders.

Start up your own business. Lawn mowing is a good starter. Save up your money and move into Siding and Roofing.

I worked for a gentleman who is up on fraud, stole $5M from homeowners. Sentencing is soon. He will get a deuce minus and be out in 2/3.

Painting is an easy job. The hard part is acquiring customers.

Moving company, local.

Hot Shotting for the oil field is huge money.

Rig Workers get paid $60/hour, are you mechanical? Entry level roughnecks get $40/hour.

Truck driving, you want local so go Dump Truck, $25/hour

*****Note do not do vacum truck, you actually have to break a sweat in that job.

Long Haul Truck driving is no life, leave that to the immigrants who are taking over the industry at low wages. They tend to low-ball bids just to get them even if they lose money.

What do you do for work? Flip Burgers? Stock Shelves?

37 minutes ago, yathis said:

You need to work smarter not harder. Find ways to boost your income level. I literally tell drunken bums that when they get hit by a taxi or commercial vehicle or any car (thats insured) when you are bottle picking and walking around and you get hit by a vehicle....... you say ouch you get $8000, break a bone (like a leg or an arm) thats $50k, spine $500k (healed properly) I have been hit by a car many times, minding my own business, not looking to get hit by a car. Taxi's are the worst offenders.

Start up your own business. Lawn mowing is a good starter. Save up your money and move into Siding and Roofing.

I worked for a gentleman who is up on fraud, stole $5M from homeowners. Sentencing is soon. He will get a deuce minus and be out in 2/3.

Painting is an easy job. The hard part is acquiring customers.

Moving company, local.

Hot Shotting for the oil field is huge money.

Rig Workers get paid $60/hour, are you mechanical? Entry level roughnecks get $40/hour.

Truck driving, you want local so go Dump Truck, $25/hour

*****Note do not do vacum truck, you actually have to break a sweat in that job.

Long Haul Truck driving is no life, leave that to the immigrants who are taking over the industry at low wages. They tend to low-ball bids just to get them even if they lose money.

What do you do for work? Flip Burgers? Stock Shelves?

I currently work for my father at above minimal wage as a Financial Assistant. Also, studying at uni full time and doing those things are kinda hard, especially if I work for someone who doesn't accompany my changing timetables. I built my first pc of $1300 from doing a waiter position at my local shopping center when I was 16.