New monitor has weird outline around moving objects

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by vanished,
Just now, babadoctor said:

I see it!

What should I change it to? it is currently labeled as "normal"

Normal should really be the ideal setting.  Generally these is one higher that they use to make up the stupid response time numbers but actually looks terrible and no one would ever use, and one lower that turns it off.  Try turning it off and see if the motion artifacts go away.

So I got this new asus monitor, and sometimes i notice an outline around moving objects. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4090UO/

My old monitor also has this, but it is far less noticeable, from what I can tell it is caused by the color gammut that each monitor is using/ the brightness.

The test I was using is this

https://www.testufo.com/#test=crosstalk&photo=alien-invasion.png&pps=960&pursuit=0

And I can see a small outline behind each object

This means the monitor is ghosting, right?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Acer* ;)

Are you using an HDMI cable or VGA?

EDIT: I'll just put my thoughts here now. I've seen the effect you're talking about with lower quality or very long runs of VGA cable. Though, I've only had it happen on 35ft+ VGA cables. Plus, if you can only see it on that test, it should be fine. I'm running DP to VGA, as well as HDMI to VGA adapters and see it on that test, but no where else ever.

I'm thinking it's either VGA issues or perhaps a response time enhancement feature that's turned up too high.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm thinking it's either VGA issues or perhaps a response time enhancement feature that's turned up too high.

36 minutes ago, nekonime said:

Acer* ;)

Are you using an HDMI cable or VGA?

EDIT: I'll just put my thoughts here now. I've seen the effect you're talking about with lower quality or very long runs of VGA cable. Though, I've only had it happen on 35ft+ VGA cables. Plus, if you can only see it on that test, it should be fine. I'm running DP to VGA, as well as HDMI to VGA adapters and see it on that test, but no where else ever.

HDMI

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

4 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

HDMI

ok what about response time mitigation?  It's called AMA on my BenQ and RTA on my Samsung.  Basically when it's time for pixels to change colour, it makes them target a value beyond what they need to change to to make them switch faster, but it can lead to over shooting and thus creating weird effects around any moving object.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

ok what about response time mitigation?  It's called AMA on my BenQ and RTA on my Samsung.  Basically when it's time for pixels to change colour, it makes them target a value beyond what they need to change to to make them switch faster, but it can lead to over shooting and thus creating weird effects around any moving object.

I don't know how to get to that option in my monitors settings :(

let me try one second

I don't know how to get to that option in my monitors settings :(

let me try one second

Just open the menu, there can't be that many settings, just go through them all :P 

there is this option that says "empowering technology"

and it has 4 options

standard

graphics

movie

eco

person

currently selected is standard

Worst thing is, none of the buttons are labeled so its a nightmare to navigate

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

:( There is nothing labeled as such on my monitor 

However, there are some acronyms that I was not able to identify in the settings...

The only acronym I did not understand:

Something labeled OSD Timeout

It is 0/10

Also, DDC/CI

and 

OD

and

ACM

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

:( There is nothing labeled as such on my monitor 

I believe Acer simply calls it "overdrive", or "OD".

P1110077.JPG

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I believe Acer simply calls it "overdrive", or "OD".

P1110077.JPG

I see it!

I see it!

Normal should really be the ideal setting.  Generally these is one higher that they use to make up the stupid response time numbers but actually looks terrible and no one would ever use, and one lower that turns it off.  Try turning it off and see if the motion artifacts go away.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Holy SHIT IT FIXED IT

What does that option do anyways? Lol

Holy SHIT IT FIXED IT

What does that option do anyways???

I described it above:

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Basically when it's time for pixels to change colour, it makes them target a value beyond what they need to change to to make them switch faster, but it can lead to over shooting and thus creating weird effects around any moving object.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I described it above:

So, does this mean my response time was lowered? (not that i cared)

Thanks so much!!

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

So, does this mean my response time was lowered? (not that i cared)

Thanks so much!!

You may notice a bit more motion blur, it depends on how effective that option was.  Try a game, toggling back and forth and see if you notice or care.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You may notice a bit more motion blur, it depends no how effective that option was.  Try a game, toggling back and forth and see if you notice or care.

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

no problem :) 

• 4 years later...

i know its been 5 years since this thread was last used, but someone please help i need to know how to do this with an nvidia gsync monitor

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, lachyratboy said:

i know its been 5 years since this thread was last used, but someone please help i need to know how to do this with an nvidia gsync monitor

Yup same here

Here's my monitor:https://www.mwave.com.au/product/samsung-lc27rg50fqexxy-27-240hz-full-hd-curved-gsync-compatible-gaming-monitor-ac27407

weird light blue silhouette mainly in siege but Valorant as well. Went through the settings multiple times, no "rta" or "overdrive"

• 4 months later...
On 6/20/2017 at 12:48 AM, vanished said:

no problem :) 

I need you to know that I just created an account to reply to you, and thank you. I have been suffering from this annoying effect for two years, and I just found your solution.