Disabling fans when idle

MrDKOz
Go to solution Solved by Wild Penquin,

This depends on your BIOS / MB manufacturer. Haven't personally used MSI, but chances are it's BIOS settings will allow stopping fans at or below certain (settable) temperature. This is not possible on all BIOSes / manufacturers, however.

If BIOS settings are not enough, you may want to try software fan control. I've heard speedfan is the program of choice Windows (I'm assuming you are using Windows, I don't).

At this point it is good to point out, that all thermal dissipation will be dependent on radiation, diffusion and convection caused by the hot air alone, if all fans are stopped. The result may be (even at idle) slowly creeping up temperature, which will force the fans to start at some point. Less moving air may increased heat at some MB components and reduce their life expectancy (even if CPU and those at / near other thermal sensors are at fine temperatures). It may be more sensible to set some or all (of the) fans to a low setting, say, 500-800RPM, instead of stopping them. They should be practically inaudible at that rate (if they are not, change the fans to something more better), and will cause hugely more efficient thermal dissipation than stopping them altogether.

Hey guys, first time posted here.

I was just wondering, does anyone know if there is a way to stop my case fans from spinning up unless necessary? I have just purchased the Corsair Air 740 and I'm trying to make it as quite as possible. My temps are currently stable and remain stable when I use MSI Eco Center to turn off the case fans entirely.

My setup can be seen here.

Thank you.

This depends on your BIOS / MB manufacturer. Haven't personally used MSI, but chances are it's BIOS settings will allow stopping fans at or below certain (settable) temperature. This is not possible on all BIOSes / manufacturers, however.

If BIOS settings are not enough, you may want to try software fan control. I've heard speedfan is the program of choice Windows (I'm assuming you are using Windows, I don't).

At this point it is good to point out, that all thermal dissipation will be dependent on radiation, diffusion and convection caused by the hot air alone, if all fans are stopped. The result may be (even at idle) slowly creeping up temperature, which will force the fans to start at some point. Less moving air may increased heat at some MB components and reduce their life expectancy (even if CPU and those at / near other thermal sensors are at fine temperatures). It may be more sensible to set some or all (of the) fans to a low setting, say, 500-800RPM, instead of stopping them. They should be practically inaudible at that rate (if they are not, change the fans to something more better), and will cause hugely more efficient thermal dissipation than stopping them altogether.

Thank you for the fast response, I went into the BIOS to find that my motherboard does actually allow me to change the fan curve, I've changed this now and it's a lot quieter thank you and sorry for wasting your time, could've probably found it with a little more poking around.