Which SSD to choose?

Merkey

Hi, so I want to buy a new SSD under 200 euros, form factor doesn't really matter to me. I will use it mainly for games and app installation and as a boot drive. I found some drives that I like:

• Crucial MX 300 m.2 2280SS 525gb

or

• Samsung 850 evo 500gb

Are theese good? (if not I have no complains if you suggest a better one :) ). Samsung 960 evo is also available in my country, but its quite expensive for 500gb drive. 

Samsung, Last much longer and generally has better reviews than compared to crucial. the 960 evo have a muuuch faster r/w speed than crucil fyi

If I had to choose between my computer and girlfriend, well lets just say you can play more games when single.:)

If you are picking the MX300, make sure your motherboard is compatible with it. There are a few different types of m.2 slots, and people have accidentally bought ones that don't fit. Even if it doesn't there is a non m.2 version of it.

Out of the 3 types, the Crucial MX 300 (non m.2 version) is better for price to performance. Either way, you wouldn't see a real difference in speeds or quality of life problems. 

Just now, Zase said:

Samsung, Last much longer and generally has better reviews than compared to crucial. the 960 evo have a muuuch faster r/w speed than crucil fyi

This really isn't that true. Crucial is a great brand, and although the Samsungs do last somewhat longer, it isn't worth the extra cash for the extra time. 

Also the speeds are very close. It isn't a SATA2 HDD vs an NVMe SSD. 

The Samsung has speeds 

Max Sequential Read
Up to 540 MBps
Max Sequential Write
Up to 520 MBps

The Crucial has speeds of

Max Sequential Read
Up to 530 MBps
Max Sequential Write
Up to 510 MBps

Just now, Rinsworth said:

This really isn't that true. Crucial is a great brand, and although the Samsungs do last somewhat longer, it isn't worth the extra cash for the extra time. 

Also the speeds are very close. It isn't a SATA2 HDD vs an NVMe SSD. 

The Samsung has speeds 

Max Sequential Read
Up to 540 MBps
Max Sequential Write
Up to 520 MBps

The Crucial has speeds of

Max Sequential Read
Up to 530 MBps
Max Sequential Write
Up to 510 MBps

I have two crucial m4's in my system that I got a couple years ago and they really have just been a bunch of trouble for me, I've had 1 die on me and then they haven't run at advertised speeds. Granted i got them from a friend for pretty cheap than retail but I can't imagine they would be THAT much better then what I got he used. My freind only had them a year before I got them. My Samsung 940 evo I had a while back lasted MUUUCCCHH better and never died on me. So I sorta speak from experience. But I may just have terrible luck with crucial.

If I had to choose between my computer and girlfriend, well lets just say you can play more games when single.:)

4 minutes ago, Zase said:

I have two crucial m4's in my system that I got a couple years ago and they really have just been a bunch of trouble for me, I've had 1 die on me and then they haven't run at advertised speeds. Granted i got them from a friend for pretty cheap than retail but I can't imagine they would be THAT much better then what I got he used. My freind only had them a year before I got them. My Samsung 940 evo I had a while back lasted MUUUCCCHH better and never died on me. So I sorta speak from experience. But I may just have terrible luck with crucial.

If they've had them for a year, there is going to be slowdowns, but not *that* much. 

Samsungs, at least in my experience, are guarenteed to be good, only a bit more expensive.

5 minutes ago, Zase said:

AFAIK, the MX300s are awesome SSDs. I have one in my MacBook Pro, and haven't had any problems with it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 minutes ago, Zase said:

Thats an 850 evo which isn't NVME so speeds are not even noticable

secondly, my MX300 is going great, no issues. I would always take the extra GB in this situation at what is usually a lower price. Its also Bit-techs recommended storage SSD. 

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2017/01/13/crucial-mx300-review/9

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P