Recommend me a laptop for $800 CAD

I just want a laptop that I can do some Chrome browsing on, with Discord and Spotify probably.

Right now, I just want a laptop that has good battery and at least a 1080p display, IPS is preferred over specs.

Specs doesn't really matter, if I need to do anything that requires power, I will use my desktop. Even if it's a M3, that's OK. 8GB preferred over 4GB, unless there's a better display (>1080p only)

Right now I am looking at the Asus UX330CA, for $830. 7th gen m3 CPU, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1080p IPS display, 10 hours battery life.

If there's anything that's better, I'm open to suggestions.

Nothing used at all, don't care about back lighting, I will be running Lubuntu on the laptop if the Y series CPU is bad, else I am going to run Windows 10. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

i would recommend an older ThinkPad, 2nd or 3rd gen i7s are still good, with a decent size ssd and 16gb ram, it should still be good for all your needs. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i would recommend an older ThinkPad, 2nd or 3rd gen i7s are still good, with a decent size ssd and 16gb ram, it should still be good for all your needs. 

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Nothing used at all

Even if it was new, I want something that's light and portable, like the MacBook (one USB C port)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Even if it was new, I want something that's light and portable, like the MacBook (one USB C port)

what about a Chromebook? 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

what about a Chromebook? 

That's alright, just needs what I require.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

why does he need 16gb  ram and a decent size ssd for chrome browsing, spotify, and discord?

Though as far as lenovo machines go, for something lighter and in that price range the 13" yoga 720 isn't bad.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

That's alright, just needs what I require.

- Samsung Chromebook Pro  or HP Chromebook 13 are good, 1440p display with an M cpu should give you good battery life. 

Why even that much money? Lenovo's Android Yogabook could handle that. I've been loving mine as a utility backup. work, play, on the go. Never had to charge it in the middle of the day. And they make a windows 10 version, not sure of the battery life.

Just grab an A4 or Pentium based 2-in-1 and pocket the rest or buy a good set of accessories and carry-on bag

Just now, HalGameGuru said:

Lenovo's Android Yogabook

you can bog it down easily, 

1 minute ago, HalGameGuru said:

A4 or Pentium based 2-in-1

won't be smooth 

2 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

Why even that much money? Lenovo's Android Yogabook could handle that. I've been loving mine as a utility backup. work, play, on the go. Never had to charge it in the middle of the day. And they make a windows 10 version, not sure of the battery life.

Just grab an A4 or Pentium based 2-in-1 and pocket the rest or buy a good set of accessories and carry-on bag

I really want that great display, with a good battery and decent performance.

Pretty sure that those can do what I want, but I need this to last for ~6 years or so, yeah.. And $800 CAD is about $500 USD. Pretty sure that's low budget for a laptop.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you can bog it down easily, 

won't be smooth 

Right now on my core duo laptop, I have 16 tabs... So.. Yeah..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I am currently typing on a core i5 toshiba machine I dug out of my scrapyard and got it for $10.

You already told me that going to scrapyards and buying stuff in Canada is illegal, so..

If it's not, well.. There's none in my area, and if there was it would have stuff along the lines of core duo laptop anyways. People in my area really like to stick onto their Windows XP components.

I'm typing this on a Core Duo laptop with a blazing 1.8 GHz CPU! 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

not the point. Wanted to brag.

Although if you can seriously drop your budget and accept something heavier, I can get you a laptop for very cheap. Granted you will probably have to pull yourselves up by your bootstraps and install your own RAM and HDD. 

Nothing used period. I know it's better in price/performance, but my parents will fucking kill me if I get anything used because fuck you that's why.

I have some spare DDR3 and a spare SSD, I guess.. But that's out of the question. Probably going to just hold onto it because why not? Put it in a museum. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I always sell all my hardware because I need to get it in and out the door before it depreciates, but that's just because I run a business. You probably have different priorities. 

Honestly somebody else can help you with this. New stuff is not my specialty. 

I keep it because why not, going out 5km+ to ship something that's worth $10 isn't worth my time.

The reason why I posted this thread is because of that, to try to see if there's anything better than what I am going to get.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well here is the US we have the USPS, and they pick up stuff directly from you during deliveries of your mail. I don't know if canada has anything like that, but it makes it very convenient to not have to drive anywhere,

We have USPS too, but USPS doesn't do mail..

I never knew USPS does mail.

(Also it's biking down badly maintained dirt roads to inner city then dealing with stupid drivers at 40c)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

What the hell do they do then? That's all they do in the US.

I've only used FedEx, so I don't fucking know.

We have "Canada Post"

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

USPS and UPS are different things.

The original post merely specified chrome, spotify, and discord. Yogabook can handle that fine.

HEAVY chrome use. a dozen tabs, or as I often have... 48... yeah, that's not gonna work on a yogabook. I actually just had a 500USD laptop tabbed up for a client, let me look for it...

http://www.frys.com/product/9019137

EDIT: wait, thats not the 1080p one, gimme a sec to find the 1080p version

My bad it wasnt the ideapad it was the thinkpad. E series... I think one of the 500's the frys tab is dead, must be out of stock. Imma find it at Microcenter or newegg

Holy crap, everything is sold out. There's only 1 model with good stock at MC, NONE at frys, newegg has FOUR. My local frys' have NOTHING.

If you're okay with a convertible there are some good options from dell and HP, otherwise the only thing I can find in stock is an Acer. What places would you be ordering from? Maybe .CA sites will have more in stock?

8 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

Holy crap, everything is sold out. There's only 1 model with good stock at MC, NONE at frys, newegg has FOUR. My local frys' have NOTHING.

If you're okay with a convertible there are some good options from dell and HP, otherwise the only thing I can find in stock is an Acer. What places would you be ordering from? Maybe .CA sites will have more in stock?

The fuck is frys

telling me the laptop model would be nice. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

37 minutes ago, themctipers said:

The fuck is frys

telling me the laptop model would be nice. 

Fry's is a store in the western US like Best Buy.

25 minutes ago, linkboy said:

Fry's is a store in the western US like Best Buy.

Hm. 

Wonder why he mentioned frys when I said in my original post that I'm in Canada ..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 hours ago, themctipers said:

Hm. 

Wonder why he mentioned frys when I said in my original post that I'm in Canada ..

Frys was where I was checking model numbers against price until i found out all the ones I was looking for were out of stock so they no longer showed price. Without knowing where you can get decent pricing in your location my only option is to use your USD equivalent through my local sources and find models that fit your criteria.

If you are willing to order through MicroCenter I can link the few they showed having available stock. I couldnt verify if the Acer had an IPS display so only the ones that specify such are going to get linked. And like I said if you have specific outlets you are more likely to order from in CA I'd be willing to check with my suppliers through them too. I know shipping can be a bear so if possible I'd want to find one more accessible to you.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/477985/Inspiron_15_5568_156_2-in-1_Laptop_computer_-_Gray

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475045/Pavilion_x360_Convertible_15-bk193ms_Signature_Edition_156_2-in-1_Laptop_Computer_-_Silver

13 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

Frys was where I was checking model numbers against price until i found out all the ones I was looking for were out of stock so they no longer showed price. Without knowing where you can get decent pricing in your location my only option is to use your USD equivalent through my local sources and find models that fit your criteria.

If you are willing to order through MicroCenter I can link the few they showed having available stock. I couldnt verify if the Acer had an IPS display so only the ones that specify such are going to get linked. And like I said if you have specific outlets you are more likely to order from in CA I'd be willing to check with my suppliers through them too. I know shipping can be a bear so if possible I'd want to find one more accessible to you.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/477985/Inspiron_15_5568_156_2-in-1_Laptop_computer_-_Gray

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475045/Pavilion_x360_Convertible_15-bk193ms_Signature_Edition_156_2-in-1_Laptop_Computer_-_Silver

Micro Center isn't in Canada and I wish it was. 

I really don't want to get a convertible unless it's really good. I don't care about touch screen either; I don't want fingerprints on my screen. 

Amazon, Best Buy, staples, ncix, Canada computers, Walmart of all things, the source

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

You can take those model numbers. The Acer series that is comparable is nice in that it offers an SSD standard. But I could not get any confirmation on an IPS panel