Underclock GPU For Lower Temps?

Ronin64

Hi,

I have an Alienware X51 connected to my TV with a GTX 670 and it runs very hot when playing games, mid to high 80s. I only play light and indie games on it, my custom rig is my main system for most of my gaming. So I was wondering if underclocking would make it run cooler and is it safe to do so. 

Did it always run like that? Have you tried the alternative first like taking apart the cooler and giving it a thorough cleaning and replacing the thermal paste? Its safe to underclock but do some stress test to check for instability.

Try cleaning out the insides of your pc.

Spoiler

(using compressed air)

make sure your fans are all working, try to move your pc to an area with better air flow. 

Good luck

@tp95112

It did not run like this when I bought it 2 years ago and I'm not comfortable with taking a cooler off the gpu.

I ran Unigine Heaven for 30 minutes and it peaked at 85C, but I was playing Darksiders 2 yesterday and it peaked at 89C.

@OnePoorMofo

I cleaned it a couple days ago and I usually clean both my computers every month.

6 minutes ago, Ronin64 said:

I'm not comfortable with taking a cooler off the gpu

Plenty of guides that would help you take it apart and reassemble it.If you're careful and not jabbing your screw driver into screws you are safe from damaging it. For underclocking it install After Burner and turns down the clock speed. I'd aim to get it closer to mid to high 70c but you WILL be sacrificing a lot of performance to get it down

There seems to be not enough air flow to the GPU. It's also using a blower-style fan. If it's not too loud, game with the case open.

Take it a step further by re-purposing an old fan.