Windows 10 reinstalled on wrong drive?

belgiumkiddo

Yo guys,

So my pc was stuck in an infinite reboot loop, so I decided to download the ISO file of my (free) windows 10 upgrade and make a bootable USB drive. These things worked out but during the installation I managed to reinstall windows on a different partition or drive than it originally was. Now when I boot, I can enter the "clean" windows but my drives are still filled with all the files of the old windows. Does anyone know how to get rid of these files? And if so won't it also get rid of important files for the clean version that I reinstalled?

Greets from an unlucky guy, who's had to deal with these kinds of situations for one to many times xD

First, download the Windows Media Creation Tool from the following website.  Then, using the Tool, create the USB flashdrive you will need to reinstall Windows.  Using the website below you will be able to pick which version of Windows that you want.  The website supports downloads for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.  You can also choose which version of the download you want, either 32 or 64 bit.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Second, after creating your USB bootable flashdrive, remove the flashdrive and turn off the PC.

Third, after the PC is completely off, disconnect all HHD's from the motherboard with the exception of the drive you want to use as Drive C:.

Next, with just the one drive connected (Drive C:), reinstall the USB flash drive and turn on the computer.  It may be necessary to enter the BIOS to tell the machine to boot from the flash drive.

The next step is booting from the flash drive and just following the on-screen prompts.  Since the only HHD connected in the machine is the drive you want to use for the C: drive, the install process will have no other choices to install the system on to.  It will default to you Drive C:.

Once the install is complete, reboot the system after removing the flash drive.

All done.

Good Luck.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

First, download the Windows Media Creation Tool from the following website.  Then, using the Tool, create the USB flashdrive you will need to reinstall Windows.  Using the website below you will be able to pick which version of Windows that you want.  The website supports downloads for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.  You can also choose which version of the download you want, either 32 or 64 bit.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Second, after creating your USB bootable flashdrive, remove the flashdrive and turn off the PC.

Third, after the PC is completely off, disconnect all HHD's from the motherboard with the exception of the drive you want to use as Drive C:.

Next, with just the one drive connected (Drive C:), reinstall the USB flash drive and turn on the computer.  It may be necessary to enter the BIOS to tell the machine to boot from the flash drive.

The next step is booting from the flash drive and just following the on-screen prompts.  Since the only HHD connected in the machine is the drive you want to use for the C: drive, the install process will have no other choices to install the system on to.  It will default to you Drive C:.

Once the install is complete, reboot the system after removing the flash drive.

All done.

Good Luck.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!