Can no longer activate SLI with two GTX 980s

Hello guys,
I have some problems with my GTX 980 SLI.
It used to work fine, but I recently had to do a clean installation of Windows, and now after everything is done I can no longer engage the SLI. (See Image 1)

I will give you a full run down of my specs further down, however to what I have already tested:
I have made sure, that both cards are shown in my device manager (see Image 2)
I have tested out both cards alone, in both PCIe slots. Both cards and both PCIe slots work fine.
I have done multiple clean installations of the current graphics drivers.
I have tested two different SLI connectors and tested multiple configurations of the SLI connection part on the graphics cards.

My system is most likely not the problem, as I had this running before, but here is my set up anyway
CPU: i7 4790k
Mobo: GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
RAM: 32GB Geil DDR3 (unsure about frequency)
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W CM

GPU 1: Asus GTX 980 Strix
GPU 2: Palit GTX 980 Super JetStream

I also have a capture card inserted over PCIe (Elgato HD 60 Pro)
And a PCIe SSD (Plextor M8Pe 500GB)

I hope you guys can help
Thanks

0b819c6016.png

78e2c6c0e8.png

This sounds stupid but trust me here. Take the SLI bridge and literally blow out the connector(s). My Gtx 580's didn't wanna do right with my HB SLI bridge until I blew some dust out of it

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

6 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

This sounds stupid but trust me here. Take the SLI bridge and literally blow out the connector(s). My Gtx 580's didn't wanna do right with my HB SLI bridge until I blew some dust out of it

Good idea, however it didn't work.
I even made sure and used Isopropyl alcohol to wipe the connectors down.
No luck :/

31 minutes ago, Aetohatir said:

Good idea, however it didn't work.
I even made sure and used Isopropyl alcohol to wipe the connectors down.
No luck :/

Rip. Umm put the higher ASIC quality one on top. This was the only way my 570's would work because for some reason any other way resulted in both cards running pcie 3.0 4x but this may have just been something else entirely. You can check via GPU-Z

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

So all of those cards where in the build prior to the clean format, also its windows 10 and it was before the install?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 hours ago, Vegetable said:

nintendo 64 nostalgia

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

On 2017-5-31 at 11:35 PM, Mick Naughty said:

So all of those cards where in the build prior to the clean format, also its windows 10 and it was before the install?

Yes Win 10 Prior as well

On 2017-5-31 at 9:12 PM, Vegetable said:

Rip. Umm put the higher ASIC quality one on top. This was the only way my 570's would work because for some reason any other way resulted in both cards running pcie 3.0 4x but this may have just been something else entirely. You can check via GPU-Z

highter ASIC is on top

23 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

nintendo 64 nostalgia

my thoughts lol

• 1 month later...

Update: So I solved the issue.
recently my motherboard died, and I had to buy a new one.
I now use the AsRock Z97 Killer Fatality

with the new board SLI works again. So I am guessing my motherboard was somehow damaged.
Oh well, All is fine now, except now I have the activate windows Watermark, and I've misplaced my product key :/