What size monitor should I get?

Jcolonna12

This monitor will be used for gaming, watching movies, searching the web, etc. I currently have a 25 inch monitor. I am looking to buy a 27 inch monitor but I am wondering if it is too big.

PS. I don't game on PC now, but I want to switch over from PS3. So I know nothing about what is comfortable for PC gaming. Thanks :)

PSS. What size do you suggest?

well 27 inches may be a bit too big since you sit so close

I have just recently ordered a Crossover 27Q 27 inch 2560 x 1440 monitor and I love it.

If you get a 27inch monitor, where you'll enjoy it from the distance you normally have the monitor on a desk to you (about an arm length more or less), you want that 27inch monitor to be 2560x1440. Sadly, this resolution is targeting at a consumer that also have high standard and expectation. In other words: high-end consumer grade monitor. Meaning they have lot of other feature for displaying colors beutifully, and that is really awesome, but the price can hurt for some. Please note, that you will get what you paid for with these displays.

My recommendation are:

The Dell U2713HM - uses a true 8-bit IPS panel, features Look up Table and color processor to get the most of it, has HDMI, DVI, VGA, and DisplayPort. Also has 4x (ex on teh side, 2x on the back) USB 3.0 hub, fully adjustable stand, solid build quality, 0 wobble, 0 glossy anything so that you are comfortable when using your monitor and focus on your work, high grade white LED back light for a better white light output (white LED backlight outputs a very blue white to a somewhat cold white, all depending on the grades of the LEDs), and comes with a manufacture, color calibrated, with report, sRGB profile for amazing colors out of the box (well out of the box, and go on the monitor menu and pick sRGB). Oh the IPS panel is made by LG.

As second option you have the ASUS PB278Q which is a similar monitor.

If you want better you have the Dell U2713H. This monitor is the top of the line on the consumer market right now. IPS panel made by LG of course, true 8-bit panel, it uses a larger Look Up Table, better color processor, better panel of course, and uses a new backlight technology called GB-LED. where you have perfect green and perfect blue LEDs put very close together, with a layer of red phosphor, to output a true white light. This back light technology give you the advantages of LED back light, without the drawback of outputting a cold white, giving an excellent base for your colors, and whites looks like white. The monitor comes with 2 pre-color calibrated profile: sRGB, and also Adobe RGB, as it is also a wide gamut monitor.

If it is too pricey, but want really good colors, you can go with the Dell U2711. It's basically the U2713H older brother. Dell drop the price to empty its stock.

The monitor has more inputs, but looses some features, like DisplayPort 1.2 daisy chaining feature, where you can connect a second monitor from 1 plug from your GPU (assuming tht your GPU support this feature), the panel anti-glare coating is LG old one, where it's more agressive (the new one, is less agressive but block reflection nearly just as good, it's a new product), it uses high grade CFLs for outputting true white color, the USB hub is only 2.0, as USB 3.0 just came out when it was released, and HDMI is limited to 1080p as it uses HDMI 1.2.

Note: HDMI on resolution above 1080p is iffy, some monitor and device/computer combination might block the monitor in getting higher than 1080p, and also I don't know for sure if the monitor supports more than 1080p, its too new, and I can't find user info on this last I checked. The monitor does uspport 1:1 pixel mapping, so if you want it to scale the image, or stay non scale with black border all around, you can.

There are some pretty sick monitors out their, i wouldn't go over 24" with 1080p resolution. if you want 27" it has to be 2560x1600/1440 otherwise the pixel are far to large.

In my opinion 24" is the cut off point when you're gaming, anything larger than that you're eyes have to travel further to get the kill but that's just me.

Yamakasi pexel perfect monitors are pretty frick'n awesome, they're made in Korea but don't let that scare you ;) : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=yamakasi+pixel+perfect&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=yamakasi+pixel+perfect&_sacat=0

Asus has this 1 really cool looking IPS monitor that i'm keen to sink my teeth into: https://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/MX239H/

Out of all of these I'd pick this one. Linus has good word of this new Acer IPS panel which comes in at a much better price point than the Asus & they're both IPS: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model-datasheet/UM.VH6AA.003

There are many other good monitors out their but I like to recommend IPS, and with these it's hard to go wrong.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

1h per day? Are you mad? You can perfect game on IPS panels. If you check other forums, like another forum I participate in, mostly formed of gamers, people love their IPS panels, and have no problem in gaming. Only the forum hardcore FPS players there raise an issue, but even them say that they just want the edge in their competitive play over the rest, and not because of the monitor slowness. Although, input lag is raised as issue (due to added components like color processors and Look Up Table), its not a killer for the forum FPS player that don't play competitively, and just play for fun. (bit-tech.net forum).

Running a 27inch monitor does require a high end GPU, A GeForce 670Ti (or the equivalent from AMD, of course) is needed for max setting smooth 60fps gaming in most games.

Running all games at max settings 60fps smoothly, you probably want SLI or Titan, especially if you want Crysis 3, then you really need power. But normally its fine.

Gaming dual monitor on 27inch 2560x1440, where teh game runs on both screen... yea... you need some serious power... better wait for next gen stuff. I don't know if a Titan can do it.. it does have 6GB of memory after all.. but performance wise.. there is no review on such setup that I found.. at least not quickly.

@bradscoolio what saying: These cheap Korean monitor are using rejected IPS panel which they buy for nothing (instead of having LG throw them). They all have issues, whether visible or not, they are panels that didn't pass LG certification process. They are called "A-" panels. You can have the bright pixel or dead pixel, but aside from that, possible problem is a weaker panel design, miss formed grid in some ares or pixels or entire panel which could lead to back light bleeding on a pixel or set of pixel or area, or inconsistent sharpness issue, durability issue, and more. Just to let you know. And to make the monitor as cheap as possible, the panel are direct link to DVI, which can cause compatibility issue with some graphic cards, the build quality of the monitor stand and cashing is extremely cheap, no warranty (they say 1 year, but the list of condition and rules in the policy, if you read it, basically says that we dont' cover anything, and assuing it is approved.. you stiull have to pay shipping to South Korea.... good luck), and glossy panel and enclosure.

For many users, the above doesn't concern them, or for the price they simply don't care (they see it as a trade off). So it depends on you. I just wanted to inform about this.

1h per day? Are you mad? You can perfect game on IPS panels. If you check other forums, like another forum I participate in, mostly formed of gamers, people love their IPS panels, and have no problem in gaming. Only the forum hardcore FPS players there raise an issue, but even them say that they just want the edge in their competitive play over the rest, and not because of the monitor slowness. Although, input lag is raised as issue (due to added components like color processors and Look Up Table), its not a killer for the forum FPS player that don't play competitively, and just play for fun. (bit-tech.net forum).

Running a 27inch monitor does require a high end GPU, A GeForce 670Ti (or the equivalent from AMD, of course) is needed for max setting smooth 60fps gaming in most games.

Running all games at max settings 60fps smoothly, you probably want SLI or Titan, especially if you want Crysis 3, then you really need power. But normally its fine.

Gaming dual monitor on 27inch 2560x1440, where teh game runs on both screen... yea... you need some serious power... better wait for next gen stuff. I don't know if a Titan can do it.. it does have 6GB of memory after all.. but performance wise.. there is no review on such setup that I found.. at least not quickly.

@bradscoolio what saying: These cheap Korean monitor are using rejected IPS panel which they buy for nothing (instead of having LG throw them). They all have issues, whether visible or not, they are panels that didn't pass LG certification process. They are called "A-" panels. You can have the bright pixel or dead pixel, but aside from that, possible problem is a weaker panel design, miss formed grid in some ares or pixels or entire panel which could lead to back light bleeding on a pixel or set of pixel or area, or inconsistent sharpness issue, durability issue, and more. Just to let you know. And to make the monitor as cheap as possible, the panel are direct link to DVI, which can cause compatibility issue with some graphic cards, the build quality of the monitor stand and cashing is extremely cheap, no warranty (they say 1 year, but the list of condition and rules in the policy, if you read it, basically says that we dont' cover anything, and assuing it is approved.. you stiull have to pay shipping to South Korea.... good luck), and glossy panel and enclosure.

For many users, the above doesn't concern them, or for the price they simply don't care (they see it as a trade off). So it depends on you. I just wanted to inform about this.

wow! I'm not mad at all. Are u?(if you are please don't be) :) I would call myself a casual gamer and I play like two h/day average. (though it's like 16 h during the weekend :) ) But I wasn't trying to say that IPS panels are bad for gaming- they are not. I think they are good for everything. TN is cheaper so if you are using your monitor just for gaming and you want it to be especially fast maybe TN is more fit for you.I would still use IPS, seems like better value to me. BTW I was talking about 3D stuff (this is the only thing that would make me personally get an TN panel monitor)-since I'm unaware of any good 120hz IPS monitors.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

Good luck with finding a 670ti GoodBytes.

I don't know what 25 inch you have but I have a 26 inch 1920x1200 monitor and I just love it. It may be a little older now but I think the size is just perfect and I also really like that it is a 16:10 monitor. I'll just upgrade when 27 inch 2k monitors get affordable.

670ti was a typo... :)

No I am not mad. It was said in kidding way in my head...lol Didn't show well in text form, hehe. Sorry.

If you currently have a 25inch I'd step up to 27 & get a 2560x1440 panel. I always find I dislike going down in size after using monitor for any period of time. IPS are a bit more expensive but IMO well worth it. The increased colour gamut and viewing angles are just so much better than TN. Advertised response times is always false, TNs are quicker then IPS but IPS are improving and are much better today than when they 1st came out. If you want to see true response time measurements look at review on sites like TFTcentral. As has already been said, unless your'e a hardcore FPS gamer it really doesn't matter, and the other pros of IPS panels far outweigh the slightly slower response times, which is about the only advantage TN has over IPS/PLS.

I just want to add that don't only stare at pixel response times. Input lag is big factor also! Depending on monitor it can vary a much. Like Benq XL2420T (120HZ TN-panel) in instant mode average input lag is around 6ms and Samsung S27A850D (2560x1440 PLS-panel) averages around 28ms. One frame equals around 16ms. Those both monitors are still perfectly fine to play games with, but difference is quite big.