Anyone own a DJI Phantom 4 Pro/Advanced? (First post)

Before I start, I finally decided to join the LTT forum after watching several of Linus' videos.  (On that note, RIP Nicky V)

Now, to the original topic.  I currently own an Autel X-Star Premium drone which was my first photography drone, and I've had a great time using it.  However, the range seems to be limited (usually lose video signal around 1/2 mile) and of course owning a Canon 6D, a better camera sensor would be nice as the one in the X-Star is pretty limiting at dusk and in cloudy weather.  While an Inspire would be nice, everything I do is recreational mostly, so I don't have a few grand to drop on one.  I do know Autel has a new 1" CMOS camera attachment coming out, but the fixed f/2.8 aperture and electronic sensor is still pretty limiting as far as photo quality. 

I've been looking at the Phantom 4 Pro since it came out, which also has a 1" CMOS sensor, but adds the adjustable aperture (f/2.8-f/11), a mechanical shutter, and 45mph top speed which would make video easier if I ever dive into that realm, along with the other features of the DJI Phantom 4 series like the extended range, Facebook Live options, obstacle avoidance, etc.  I have found very few people that have purchased one yet as most have purchased the regular Phantom 4 (and I know Linus has the video up on the regular Phantom 4) , so I'm looking for some that have purchased either the Phantom 4 Pro or the Advanced (less obstacle avoidance sensors) for some opinions as far as the photo quality. Thanks guys.

3 hours ago, fergusonnn said:

Before I start, I finally decided to join the LTT forum after watching several of Linus' videos.  (On that note, RIP Nicky V)

Now, to the original topic.  I currently own an Autel X-Star Premium drone which was my first photography drone, and I've had a great time using it.  However, the range seems to be limited (usually lose video signal around 1/2 mile) and of course owning a Canon 6D, a better camera sensor would be nice as the one in the X-Star is pretty limiting at dusk and in cloudy weather.  While an Inspire would be nice, everything I do is recreational mostly, so I don't have a few grand to drop on one.  I do know Autel has a new 1" CMOS camera attachment coming out, but the fixed f/2.8 aperture and electronic sensor is still pretty limiting as far as photo quality. 

I've been looking at the Phantom 4 Pro since it came out, which also has a 1" CMOS sensor, but adds the adjustable aperture (f/2.8-f/11), a mechanical shutter, and 45mph top speed which would make video easier if I ever dive into that realm, along with the other features of the DJI Phantom 4 series like the extended range, Facebook Live options, obstacle avoidance, etc.  I have found very few people that have purchased one yet as most have purchased the regular Phantom 4 (and I know Linus has the video up on the regular Phantom 4) , so I'm looking for some that have purchased either the Phantom 4 Pro or the Advanced (less obstacle avoidance sensors) for some opinions as far as the photo quality. Thanks guys.

The 4 Pro and Advanced improves the sensor a bit over the older 4.  If you need a review, check out what Philip Bloom has to say about it.  I used to own the 4 (not pro or advanced) and I now own the Mavic.  Good drones.  Not super expensive cinema image quality, but image quality is very good for the type of cameras mounted.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I am a Mavic Owner, and I have worked with the Inspire 1. I've have not had hands on experience with the Phantom 4, but honestly for hobbyist use the Mavic is just as good. The cameras are almost identical as far as specs are concerned, see here. And the size comparison puts the Mavic ahead as far as portability and ease of use. I tell people all the time that having the ability to throw a drone in your backpack when I go out on a normal video shoot adds a ton of value since most projects just need 10-15 seconds of drone footage to bring up the production value. Last December I took a work trip to Wisconsin and threw the Mavic in my carry-on. In the time that other people I was working with took smoke breaks, I would through the Mavic up and I was able to get some really cool pics just because I could. If I had a Phantom or inspire I would have never gotten these. 

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

I thought I had replied to this... whoops. I appreciate the input guys. The Mavic has the standard P4's sensor, so it would be more of a sideways move for me.  I checked out Phillip's review, but I'm gonna look a little more in depth.  Might rent one from Lumoid and try it out myself.