Linux Mint 16 'Petra' RC Released

so this was released November 15th, but I just saw it today. Linux Mint 16 Release Candidate has been released to the public. This one is based on Ubuntu 13.10. This is my personal favorite Linux distro. Two versions are available. Cinnamon and MATE.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2477

Download it and check it out. if you don't want to run a live USB, grab virtual box and create a new Virtual Machine to try it out.

http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Virtual box might not be the best option, you'd be splitting your machine resources for it and might not get the full experience. Booting off a USB drive is recommended.

Praise Duarte!

I would appreciate a bit more of a windows style. but i have never used linux and dont know if it is customizable. good to see linux updated and catching up to other OSs.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Damnit and I just installed 15 on my second ssd, now i need to remember how to upgrade. To Google!

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

Damnit and I just installed 15 on my second ssd, now i need to remember how to upgrade. To Google!

I laughed when I saw this. if it handles release upgrades like Ubuntu does, then in terminal it would be 'do-release-upgrade' but I don't know if they do it that way. I started with Mint 15 myself but recently switched to Kali to try it out. I have been excited for Mint 16. Cinnamon 2.0 seems way faster than before.

I would appreciate a bit more of a windows style. but i have never used linux and dont know if it is customizable. good to see linux updated and catching up to other OSs.

Linux is customizable to the extent that you can easily find other Desktop Environments and install those and use them instead. Mint is Ubuntu based so find one that supports Ubuntu and looks how you want and then run it.

Virtual box might not be the best option, you'd be splitting your machine resources for it and might not get the full experience. Booting off a USB drive is recommended.

Virtual Box is less technical. It was just offered as a way for users who don't want to go through creating a live USB.

Lol, that's my grandma's name 

It means rock or stone in Greek.

I laughed when I saw this. if it handles release upgrades like Ubuntu does, then in terminal it would be 'do-release-upgrade' but I don't know if they do it that way. I started with Mint 15 myself but recently switched to Kali to try it out. I have been excited for Mint 16. Cinnamon 2.0 seems way faster than before.

Linux is customizable to the extent that you can easily find other Desktop Environments and install those and use them instead. Mint is Ubuntu based so find one that supports Ubuntu and looks how you want and then run it.

Virtual Box is less technical. It was just offered as a way for users who don't want to go through creating a live USB.

It means rock or stone in Greek.

Ahhh. fantastic, maybe I will use it for a upcoming media pc.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Ahhh. fantastic, maybe I will use it for a upcoming media pc.

and you easily could do that. by default, it comes with many audio codecs and various software for things like media. xbmc runs on it too if you prefer that.

It's never had to "catch up" to other os's. The only problem is lack of app support, which isn't really its fault

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

It's never had to "catch up" to other os's. The only problem is lack of app support, which isn't really its fault

Thats what I mean by catching up. app support and user base. also legacy programs.

Thats what I mean by catching up. app support and user base. also legacy programs.

The article doesn't mention any more users using it nor app support though. . .

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

The article doesn't mention any more users using it nor app support though. . .

what? I was just replying to you.