Windows 8.1 faster in DX9/DX10 Games than 10?!

David89

Hi,

Recently i finally got an NVMe SSD for my AM4 Board. This is probably my first Windows install i maintained pretty good (Probably because i just use it for Gaming and nothing else) and i didn't feel the need to reinstall it, so i just made a RAW Copy of the normal SSD and copied it to the NVMe. I have a small 60 GB SSD with a customized Windows 10 Install (pretty much everything is deactivated), which i transfered to the SSD of the previous W8.1 Install.

This was planned to Test DX12, but never came around to do it until recently. It has the latest Updates, except the Creators Update, so it's Version 1607 including all Updates that came for that Version.

What i have found is, that FSX, Elite Dangerous and other DX9/10 games run like absolute Crap. I get up to 90 FPS in FSX on Windows 8.1 (i copyed the whole Directory for FSX straight from AppData over to W10), while W10 barely get's 15 FPS. (Yes, i triple checked, VSync is off).

DX11 games are somewhat the same, strangely enough though. Except Elite Dangerous - about 15-20 FPS less, than W8.1

Hitman on DX11 runs with some Microstutters on W10, while it doesn't on W8. In DX12 Mode however, it runs extremely good - near 140 FPS peak on 1440p, while DX11 is ~ 80 FPS peak. (64 AVG DX12 and 49 AVG DX11 - W10)

Anyone else running dual W8.1 and W10 installs and can check this? Did i deactivate a Service of some kind, that is responsible for letting Games run better?

And yes, i tested with both on "Maximum Performance" and both had the same GPU Drivers and i turned off pretty much everything in the background (except RTTS and HWInfo for OSD)

Good news everyone...!

Yeah there's a problem somewhere with windows 10, maybe a corrupted install?

2 hours ago, NinJake said:

It's probably because you copied all the files over. Try reinstalling fresh.

It's a RAW, Bit for Bit Clone, with an SHA-2 hash...

2 hours ago, BloodyWaters said:

Yeah there's a problem somewhere with windows 10, maybe a corrupted install?

Not sure where it could have been become corrupted - apart from the FPS not being on par in some Games, it runs really good...:S

Edit: Alright, going to reinstall Windows 10 right now.

Good news everyone...!

Well you'll never know if you don't try. Otherwise it's silly to make claims such as W8 running games better than W10 when you have a base of W8 and a "clone" of your W8 files on W10.

Treat them both equally and then share results. (After a fresh W10/games install)

48 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

SHA-2? Here on Linus Tech Tips we use at least SHA-256, but preferably SHA-512.

12 minutes ago, Wikiforce said:

I think he means sha-256 and missed last two digits.

No - SHA-2 is the cryptographic hash family or the "preamble", whatever you want to call it. SHA-256, SHA-512 and so on are just the digests and the lenght of the Key. The encryption structure is the same.

48 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Well you'll never know if you don't try. Otherwise it's silly to make claims such as W8 running games better than W10 when you have a base of W8 and a "clone" of your W8 files on W10.

Treat them both equally and then share results. (After a fresh W10/games install)

I didn't have any W8 files on W10. I secure erased the "old" SSD before cloning the W10 install over - would not have made a difference in terms of files.

Clean install is done, Steam Library has been checked over and deemed in order by steam.

Results are the Same: Windows 10 does not perform as well as Windows 8.1 in DX9/DX10 games. The microstutters of Hitman in DX11 are still there, but a lot less. Performance in DX12 is the same as before (i ran a single Test though...).

Elite Dangerous still has 10-15 FPS less than Windows 8.1 FSX runs as crappy as before.

No Idea what's going on with that...

Good news everyone...!

3 hours ago, David89 said:

Hi,

Recently i finally got an NVMe SSD for my AM4 Board. This is probably my first Windows install i maintained pretty good (Probably because i just use it for Gaming and nothing else) and i didn't feel the need to reinstall it, so i just made a RAW Copy of the normal SSD and copied it to the NVMe. I have a small 60 GB SSD with a customized Windows 10 Install (pretty much everything is deactivated), which i transfered to the SSD of the previous W8.1 Install.

This was planned to Test DX12, but never came around to do it until recently. It has the latest Updates, except the Creators Update, so it's Version 1607 including all Updates that came for that Version.

What i have found is, that FSX, Elite Dangerous and other DX9/10 games run like absolute Crap. I get up to 90 FPS in FSX on Windows 8.1 (i copyed the whole Directory for FSX straight from AppData over to W10), while W10 barely get's 15 FPS. (Yes, i triple checked, VSync is off).

DX11 games are somewhat the same, strangely enough though. Except Elite Dangerous - about 15-20 FPS less, than W8.1

Hitman on DX11 runs with some Microstutters on W10, while it doesn't on W8. In DX12 Mode however, it runs extremely good - near 140 FPS peak on 1440p, while DX11 is ~ 80 FPS peak. (64 AVG DX12 and 49 AVG DX11 - W10)

Anyone else running dual W8.1 and W10 installs and can check this? Did i deactivate a Service of some kind, that is responsible for letting Games run better?

And yes, i tested with both on "Maximum Performance" and both had the same GPU Drivers and i turned off pretty much everything in the background (except RTTS and HWInfo for OSD)

I'm not sure. I've heard many stories about Windows 10 running considerably worse than 8.1. It just entirely depends on your hardware and software configuration, and it's not an easy answer.

22 minutes ago, dangeredwolf said:

I'm not sure. I've heard many stories about Windows 10 running considerably worse than 8.1. It just entirely depends on your hardware and software configuration, and it's not an easy answer.

Looks like it - friend of mine says it's the opposite for him...Windows 8.1 itself running sluggish. It's funny though, that it's mostly DX9 and 10 Games, that run really bad...

Good news everyone...!

If the game has DX redistributable content within the installer folder, run it.  It may have custom DX components required to improve performance.

Check the games installer folder, most games run this on initial install but keep a copy of the DX installer in the game folder(s)

Try that and recheck performance.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply