Same FPS on ultra and low with 1070?

trentklein
Go to solution Solved by trentklein,
2 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

see if vsync is on

14 hours ago, chexor said:

I got a friend (he has 6600k on 4.5Ghz and 1070 g1 gaming) he's newbe with pc's, i built him pc, but he's learning, onace he said to me that GTA V is not working like it should be, then he installed fraps and his fps was 30 :D on 1080p when i want to his house and checked, he maxed out resolution scaling (+250%) so maybe you have some problem with software..

15 hours ago, MrJarhead said:

not a problem mate.

Alright figured it out!! I done a stupid haha long story short when I installed it, I bumped a ram stick and that opened one of the tabs making a ram stick pop out and the gpu backplate was resting on the tab so the gpu was not fully seated as well. Not sure how it even worked as well as it did.

Recently got a 1070 and have it overclocked to 2.1 boost clock and have a skylake 6500. After getting my gpu and overclocking it(after playing a few days on the stock overclock), I decided to see what kind of fps average I could get in bf4. For some strange reason I get around 80fps average both on ultra and low? Is there something going on in my system?

That's oddly low.

check CPU usage, although that really shouldn't be that much of a problem.

DDU and Reinstall? Generic solution is generic

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

That's oddly low.

check CPU usage, although that really shouldn't be that much of a problem.

DDU and Reinstall? Generic solution is generic

Isnt it? What percentage should my cpu be at?

3 minutes ago, trentklein said:

ideally, anything less than 100% is fine.

I'd expect at or below 50% for an older game like this, especially if you're getting 80FPS. (at 200FPS, you might see higher CPU usage.)

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

ideally, anything less than 100% is fine.

I'd expect at or below 50% for an older game like this, especially if you're getting 80FPS. (at 200FPS, you might see higher CPU usage.)

Well If it helps in bf3 (what I am testing now) my system cpu usage is about 90% and the game is using around 72%.

2 minutes ago, trentklein said:

Well If it helps in bf3 (what I am testing now) my system cpu usage is about 90% and the game is using around 72%.

Is only BF3 taking that CPU? nothing running in the background?

that's absurdly high for such an old game.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Is only BF3 taking that CPU? nothing running in the background?

that's absurdly high for such an old game.

Correct, all that is open is steam, origin, and chrome. 

And gpu tweak, synapse

Check GPU and CPU usage. For example, in Fallout 4 I cant get above 45FPS right outside Goodneighbor despite my settings. The game just doesn't want to utilize my hardware for some reason. At ultra it's 45% with 50% GPU and 60% CPU usage, at low it's like 25% on GPU and 60% on GPU. So check GPU and CPU usage. 

9 hours ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

Check GPU and CPU usage. For example, in Fallout 4 I cant get above 45FPS right outside Goodneighbor despite my settings. The game just doesn't want to utilize my hardware for some reason. At ultra it's 45% with 50% GPU and 60% CPU usage, at low it's like 25% on GPU and 60% on GPU. So check GPU and CPU usage. 

I don't really see a solution to the problem here though haha I havnt checked the usage of the gpu compared to the cpu since, but when I did, the cpu was way higher. It was sitting around 90% for the system.

9 hours ago, trentklein said:

Recently got a 1070 and have it overclocked to 2.1 boost clock and have a skylake 6500. After getting my gpu and overclocking it(after playing a few days on the stock overclock), I decided to see what kind of fps average I could get in bf4. For some strange reason I get around 80fps average both on ultra and low? Is there something going on in my system?

That is normal, at that game your cpu is most likely bottleneck, when you push settings high your gpu is good at pushing frames but your cpu is stack at same place..

Same thing would have happened if you had 1080ti. 6500 is good cpu, but for some games that love high single core, it wont do it..

1 minute ago, chexor said:

That is normal, at that game your cpu is most likely bottleneck, when you push settings high your gpu is good at pushing frames but your cpu is stack at same place..

Same thing would have happened if you had 1080ti. 6500 is good cpu, but for some games that love high single core, it wont do it..

But on any game? Ive tested multiple games, including bf3. It feels like I didn't event upgrade my gpu :/

10 hours ago, trentklein said:

The first and most important thing is the GPU load. If it's not able to reach around 100%, then you should look at the CPU and other factors to figure out what's stopping it. Check the GPU frequency too, to make sure it's boosting like it should.

Try opening the console with ~ and entering "GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 200" (with no quotes). That command should work in both BF3 and BF4. Both games should have default max framerates higher than 80 (200 is default, I think) if you didn't change them, but it eliminates a possibility if nothing else.

6 minutes ago, typographie said:

The first and most important thing is the GPU load. If it's not able to reach around 100%, then you should look at the CPU and other factors to figure out what's stopping it. Check the GPU frequency too, to make sure it's boosting like it should.

Try opening the console with ~ and entering "GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 200" (with no quotes). That command should work in both BF3 and BF4. Both games should have default max framerates higher than 80 (200 is default, I think) if you didn't change them, but it eliminates a possibility if nothing else.

It's boosting to 2100 so that's good there, I'll have to see if what you said works later. I just read on another forum that GeForce might have the physx set to cup?

5 minutes ago, trentklein said:

It's boosting to 2100 so that's good there, I'll have to see if what you said works later. I just read on another forum that GeForce might have the physx set to cup?

It shouldn't matter here, as I don't think either BF3 or BF4 uses PhysX. But definitely don't set your CPU as the PhysX processor, as that could really hurt performance in games that do use it. Set it to either Auto or GPU.

Did you check GPU load, too?

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

It shouldn't matter here, as I don't think either BF3 or BF4 uses PhysX. But definitely don't set your CPU as the PhysX processor, as that could really hurt performance in games that do use it. Set it to either Auto or GPU.

Did you check GPU load, too?

I did, but don't remember what it was hitting except it was below 50% i THINK.

thats way too low, my friend has a 4690k and a gtx 980 and that can get higher than 80fps at 1080p ultra. even my 970 got higher than 80fps.

i play battlefield 4 also, with a 4790k and a 1080, my fps is usually 130+.

8 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

thats way too low, my friend has a 4690k and a gtx 980 and that can get higher than 80fps at 1080p ultra. even my 970 got higher than 80fps.

i play battlefield 4 also, with a 4790k and a 1080, my fps is usually 130+.

5 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

this guy has the same cpu/gpu as you 

Exactly haha I thought I should be getting waaay higher frames.

9 minutes ago, trentklein said:

Exactly haha I thought I should be getting waaay higher frames.

which driver are you currently running? ive had issues with bf4 in the past and rolling back drivers has helped.

Just now, MrJarhead said:

which driver are you currently running? ive had issues with bf4 in the past and rolling back drivers has helped.

Whatever the newest one is. Thing is like I said, it isn't only bf4. I've checked pubg (although that's not optimized well) and bf3. I would think I would max bf3 out? I get 90 to 100fps.

3 minutes ago, trentklein said:

Whatever the newest one is. Thing is like I said, it isn't only bf4. I've checked pubg (although that's not optimized well) and bf3. I would think I would max bf3 out? I get 90 to 100fps.

i actually had issues with bf1 and i thought something wasnt right, turned out my gpu was only running at x2 speed in my x16 slot because of the sata ports blocking it, put it into the x8 slot and all is well.

if you would, can you dowload gpu-z from this link, open it and tell me the bus interface speed https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

you may have to press the question mark next to it and do a benchmark for it to go to its max speed.

1 minute ago, MrJarhead said:

i actually had issues with bf1 and i thought something wasnt right, turned out my gpu was only running at x2 speed in my x16 slot because of the sata ports blocking it, put it into the x8 slot and all is well.

if you would, can you dowload gpu-z from this link, open it and tell me the bus interface speed https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

you may have to press the question mark next to it and do a benchmark for it to go to its max speed.

Thanks for the help!! I will do this when I'm home, currently getting my oil changed haha

Just now, trentklein said:

Thanks for the help!! I will do this when I'm home, currently getting my oil changed haha

not a problem mate.

2 hours ago, trentklein said:

But on any game? Ive tested multiple games, including bf3. It feels like I didn't event upgrade my gpu :/

I got a friend (he has 6600k on 4.5Ghz and 1070 g1 gaming) he's newbe with pc's, i built him pc, but he's learning, onace he said to me that GTA V is not working like it should be, then he installed fraps and his fps was 30 :D on 1080p when i want to his house and checked, he maxed out resolution scaling (+250%) so maybe you have some problem with software..

14 minutes ago, chexor said:

Woah! Haha so, once I check the above idea, ^ what could this software issue be?