I need a solution (visual content)

Tiber1337

So I need a device, that can do what I show in the below drawing, not sure if a router can do this but if yes I want to know how I can config it. A solution that is as cheap as possible. Help out peeps, thanks!

device.jpg

It's called an extender. A lot of routers can do this

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

It's called an extender. A lot of routers can do this

So I need the extender to receive Wifi and give out net through cable, must have at least 4 ports. Can you recommend me something cheap? Because the speeds I need are only a few kb/s  and I'm already investing more in a regular router

If you don't need much in terms of raw bandwidth virtually any router will do.

6 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

If you don't need much in terms of raw bandwidth virtually any router will do.

Thing is, my main Router has passworded wi-fi , and needs to connect through wifi with the second router so that the second router could give net through cable. What settings should I aim for to make this work

2 hours ago, Tiber1337 said:

Thing is, my main Router has passworded wi-fi , and needs to connect through wifi with the second router so that the second router could give net through cable. What settings should I aim for to make this work

If you set this up, even if the new device is making its own subnet and is running NAT, anything that connected to this password-less wifi aould be able to access all the devices on the main network. From a security standpoint there is no difference between this, and just removing the password from your wifi.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Any router with DD-WRT will work just fine, you can setup DD-WRT to work as a wireless client and connect to a secured wireless network. You can find some old routers on eBay that support DD-WRT for your needs.

-KuJoe

5 hours ago, brwainer said:

If you set this up, even if the new device is making its own subnet and is running NAT, anything that connected to this password-less wifi aould be able to access all the devices on the main network. From a security standpoint there is no difference between this, and just removing the password from your wifi.

So you're saying even if I only need this device to receive wifi and distribute through cable without any authentication, the device will still give out wifi which is passwordless, even if the main router is passworded.

Your existing wireless router already takes care of NAT and DHCP, you don't need another DHCP server.

All you need is a client device that forwards wireless traffic over ethernet. Some Asus routers have this option in the standard firmware.

Something like the Asus RT-N66U should do the job.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

So you're saying even if I only need this device to receive wifi and distribute through cable without any authentication, the device will still give out wifi which is passwordless, even if the main router is passworded.

Your text in the image was unclear. The mention of not having to put in a password made me think that you wanted the second device to broadcast a passwordless wifi for devices to connect to. Ethernet typically doesn't ever require a password, they onl exception is if you use 802.1X, which is very uncommon outside of enterprise or university settings.

I recommend you get a router and install DD-WRT on it, and use the "Client" wireless mode if you want this device to run NAT and DHCP, or "Client-bridge" mode if you want the wired devices attached to it to be part of the same LAN as things connected to the main router.

DD-WRT supported devices: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
DD-WRT DD-WRT Client Bridge mode: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
DD-WRT Client mode: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

Note that Client and Client Bridged are different from Repeater and Repeater Bridged - the Repeater modes will cause your device to use the wireless for both connecting to the main router, and for broadcasting its own wireless network that devices could connect to.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: