Drive volume letters

Aquados

I have a HDD( C: ) with stuff on it and a SSD(F:)  If I put both drives in to a new build , have os installed on to the SSD. Will the SSD have the letter(C:) and forced the HDD to have a different letter 

Or HDD will have the same volume letter?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Drive Letts can change and the only rule is boot is c. So the hdd will be a different letter. 

Then how do I make my programs go to the new letter?

Just now, Aquados said:

Then how do I make my programs go to the new letter?

You can't due to the registry. You need to reinstall the programs. 

If you reinstall Windows it doesn't matter where the programs are because it has no knowledge of those programs. However, you can probably run most of those programs anyway as-is. So you don't have to reinstall them if you don't want to go through that hassle.

Most programs also default their settings and such somewhere in your C:\Users\[username] folder. So even if they were running off a different drive letter, if you import your settings to where it lives in the user folder, it won't know anything different happened.

tl;dr, you don't have to reinstall anything if the program works just fine if you launch it off the HDD. Having the OS know where the program is located is mostly for convenience stuff.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you reinstall Windows it doesn't matter where the programs are because it has no knowledge of those programs. However, you can probably run most of those programs anyway as-is. So you don't have to reinstall them if you don't want to go through that hassle.

Most programs also default their settings and such somewhere in your C:\Users\[username] folder. So even if they were running off a different drive letter, if you import your settings to where it lives in the user folder, it won't know anything different happened.

tl;dr, you don't have to reinstall anything if the program works just fine if you launch it off the HDD. Having the OS know where the program is located is mostly for convenience stuff.

The HDD is already claimed C

Will windows change to a different letter on the ssd

To preclude any confusion, disconnect the HHD and leave the SSD installed.  Then do the Windoze install.

The machine/Windoze will recognize the SSD as the C: drive and install itself there.  Should go along without any further problems.

After installing Windoze, hook up the HHD and Windows should see it as Drive D:

Of course, don't forget to turn the machine off in between these steps.  Only major thing is to just have the SSD hooked up while installing Windoze.

2 hours ago, Aquados said:

The HDD is already claimed C

Will windows change to a different letter on the ssd

Yes. The drive Windows is on is always C:\, regardless.

The drives after that depends on which ports they're in. But if you only have the other drive, it will likely become D:\