First Time Build Help

Hey guys, so I'm building my first gaming pc and I've run into some trouble. I do not have all my planned parts yet, but for now I just have a CPU, CPU water cooler, an asus Maximus ix hero motherboard, and a cooler master master case 5. I don't have a psu yet but for now I've just been installing my front panel connector cables to my motherboard. I've gotten every cable  connected except for this one. I believe it is the front panel fan controls (see attached pictures) I have no idea what this cable even is and what you do with it as I can't see any place on the mother board. I've searched everywhere for answers, but cooler master makes no mention of it anywhere. Is this a cable that will be connecting to the psu? If so then that would explain why I haven't seen a place on the motherboard. Thank you for any help you guys can provide.

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

it's a molex connector, you plug it directly to the psu's molex connector.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

looks like a molex connector. probably to power the fan controls. it needs to be attached to a cable that you put in the psu

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Haha molex so outdated haha lol :D

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, simonbyrial said:

Haha molex so outdated haha lol :D

Why does cooler master keep using them?

9 minutes ago, Jakeltons said:

Don't know...

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

41 minutes ago, Jakeltons said:

it's not just coolermaster; many companies still use molex connectors, though it seems more common on lower-end case fans

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I had a Fractal Design Node 605 case that came with 2 fans connected to a built in controller then to a molex.  I suggest doing what i did,  just disconnected them and plug them into the motherboard for better control.  I didn't want those old ugly things in my pc.  Especially since there was no hiding it in that case.

System: i7 6700K 4.7ghz - Asus Z170 Deluxe - Corsair H100I v2 - Titan XP 2050mhz - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200 - Corsair RM850x - NZXT S340 Elite - x4 Corsair HD120 RGB fans - Corsair Lighting Node Pro w/ 4 RGB strips

Storage: x2 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB - 3TB WD Black

Accessories: Logitech K800 wireless keyboard - Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum wireless mouse - Gears of War Edition XBox One Bluetooth Controller

Display: Samsung 60" KS8000 4K HDR TV

Audio: Sony STR-DN1070 7.2 ch Receiver - X2 Klipsch R28F Dual 8" Floorstanding front - x1 Klipsch R-25c Front center - x1 Klipsch R-12SW 400 watt 12" sub - x2 Polk Audio RT7 Single 7 1/2" Bookshelf rear - 1x Polk Audio CS10 Rear center

16 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

it's not just coolermaster; many companies still use molex connectors, though it seems more common on lower-end case fans

Well in my situation it's just the front panel fan control. My case fans came connected to the led/fan hub on the back of the case, which I assume the hub will connect to the psu using some kind of big sata connector. 

2 minutes ago, Crash_Dummy said:

I had a Fractal Design Node 605 case that came with 2 fans connected to a built in controller then to a molex.  I suggest doing what i did,  just disconnected them and plug them into the motherboard for better control.  I didn't want those old ugly things in my pc.  Especially since there was no hiding it in that case.

I actually might try that. I mean I would be losing the ability to hit a button to change fan speed but if you can still control that with them connected to the mother board then that sounds better. 

1 hour ago, Jakeltons said:

I actually might try that. I mean I would be losing the ability to hit a button to change fan speed but if you can still control that with them connected to the mother board then that sounds better. 

I've never used your motherboard but I think that most Asus mobo's have similar fan control features. I have fan expert 3 I think, which comes with asus software suite and I haven't had any problems with it. Makes it simple to create your own fan curves or use the built in one's, silence, standard, turbo and another one I can't remember now. I just keep the little icon on my desktop and when I go to play a game that will boost my temps I just hit the turbo button first.

System: i7 6700K 4.7ghz - Asus Z170 Deluxe - Corsair H100I v2 - Titan XP 2050mhz - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200 - Corsair RM850x - NZXT S340 Elite - x4 Corsair HD120 RGB fans - Corsair Lighting Node Pro w/ 4 RGB strips

Storage: x2 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB - 3TB WD Black

Accessories: Logitech K800 wireless keyboard - Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum wireless mouse - Gears of War Edition XBox One Bluetooth Controller

Display: Samsung 60" KS8000 4K HDR TV

Audio: Sony STR-DN1070 7.2 ch Receiver - X2 Klipsch R28F Dual 8" Floorstanding front - x1 Klipsch R-25c Front center - x1 Klipsch R-12SW 400 watt 12" sub - x2 Polk Audio RT7 Single 7 1/2" Bookshelf rear - 1x Polk Audio CS10 Rear center