My current build is: 

i3-6100 @3.7

8GB DDR4 2400mhz

240gb SSD

1TB HDD

Asus GTX970 Strix OC

Gigabyte 1151 socket B150 motherboard

Corsair VS550 power supply 

I feel like I should upgrade the cpu because it might be holding the 970 back in some games and I want to be able to do more with my computer "streaming", I currently game on a 1080p monitor with a target of 60fps.

I've been looking at the Ryzen 5 1600 with a B350 motherboard or an i7-7700, also considering an i5-7600 but am not sure what is the best to go with or if I should be looking at upgrading other parts of the pc first.

I'd strongly suggest upgrading the power supply before even thinking of putting a better cpu or gpu into the system.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

I'd strongly suggest upgrading the power supply before even thinking of putting a better cpu or gpu into the system.

I could fit a beQuiet 500watt 80+ silver power supply or something along those lines into the budget with any of the combinations if needed

4 minutes ago, SammWolf said:

I could fit a beQuiet 500watt 80+ silver power supply or something along those lines into the budget with any of the combinations if needed

Is it the pure power 9 or 10 model? I still wouldn't recommend that.

Ideally a tier 3 model from this list is the lowest you should be going, especially for a somewhat mid-spec build like you plan.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Is it the pure power 9 or 10 model? I still wouldn't recommend that.

Ideally a tier 3 model from this list is the lowest you should be going, especially for a somewhat mid-spec build like you plan.

It's a BeQuiet Pure Power 10 500w

Edit: The SilverStone Strider Gold 550W ST55F-G and the Antec High Current Gamer 620W Modular HCG-620M both fit into the budget and are in the Tier 3 section from the list linked.

Edited by SammWolf
Update

4 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

He already has an 1151 mobo why not stay on the socket?

His choice. 

idk