multi monitor card

iWearKiltz
Go to solution Solved by Bluejay0,

For 1440p, 2GB won't be enough.

Inches don't matter for VRAM size (heheheheheheheh, inches)

760 4GB is NOT worth it. the 256-bit bus is a major problem since it's a bottleneck. It's found on the 760 and 770.

For multi-monitor configs, go for AMD.

I recommend going for the 280X

so heres the low down,

currently I've been saving a fair bit for my next set up. now I'm not gonna jump on the 4k hype until the pc after this one, so 4k is not a concern.

BUT

I plan to have for sure 2 1080p monitors (one 24 inch, one 32 inch) with the possibility of another one (24 inch)

i will most definitely spoil myself and get a 1440p monitor.

now with that in mind, IS 2GB ENOUGH

that's because i don't want to go down to a 760 and get 4gb, but at the same time, I'm looking at this EVGA 770 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-Superclocked-Graphics-Vision-Ready/dp/B00D3LE2MK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2D35C5IB1LYEF&coliid=IN51SQ3EBBN8C)

now there will be no funny business with eyefinity or any of that multi monitor gaming. but there might be multiple 1080p videos playing all at once.

so yeah, 2gb enough?

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

For 1440p, 2GB won't be enough.

Inches don't matter for VRAM size (heheheheheheheh, inches)

760 4GB is NOT worth it. the 256-bit bus is a major problem since it's a bottleneck. It's found on the 760 and 770.

For multi-monitor configs, go for AMD.

I recommend going for the 280X

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Not sure out of all honesty, but I'm going to run 2 monitors on a GTX 650 (not gaming) and I'm sure it will work fine, And I would think that 2GB on a 770 would be enough.

Multiple monitors won't take up any extra VRAM unless you are spanning your game across them.  If you have your game in the main window and Skype open in the second one or something like that, it will have basically zero impact on your GPU performance or VRAM usage.

You can get by with 2GB on a 1440p monitor but I think there's no reason not to just wait for a few weeks until aftermarket cooled R9 290 cards come out, or jump for a 280X if you really want to get going now.  AMD handles multiple monitors better anyway.

Not sure out of all honesty, but I'm going to run 2 monitors on a GTX 650 (not gaming) and I'm sure it will work fine, And I would think that 2GB on a 770 would be enough.

I'm running 3 off of a GTX 650 =D Handles well in some games... if you down the graphics down to medium-low....

It doesn't appear to use the whole 2GB of VRAM, But the GPU itself could be bottlenecking that.

I'm running 3 off of a GTX 650 =D Handles well in some games... if you down the graphics down to medium-low....

It doesn't appear to use the whole 2GB of VRAM, But the GPU itself could be bottlenecking that.

The GTX 650 was designed to have 1GB of GDDR5

Get the Sapphire Radeon R9 280X. It's more powerful than the 760 and 3GB VRAM is perfect for that setup.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

Get the Sapphire Radeon R9 280X. It's more powerful than the 760 and 3GB VRAM is perfect for that setup.

Or any other variant that's NOT Sapphire.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Or any other variant that's NOT Sapphire.

Sapphire cards are great. I've had three Sapphire cards and they've all performed better than my current Gigabyte.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

Sapphire cards are great. I've had three Sapphire cards and they've all performed better than my current Gigabyte.

i think the post was referring to the fact that i could get any 280x, not just a sapphire one

i currently have a sapphire 7850 2gb in my system, its proved to work quite well.

i'll probably go for ASUS next though

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

True but there is more than Sapphire alone ;) Asus is a good brand. So is MSI